[NCUC-DISCUSS] Trump speaking about the internet

Ayden Férdeline icann at ferdeline.com
Fri Dec 2 20:45:42 CET 2016

- This quote is over a year old, and it is not clear whether these sentiments still represent the views of President-Elect Trump.

- If you read the full transcript of his remarks, it is clear that President-Elect Trump was not speaking about closing up the entire Internet, or even of implementing a firewall like China has in place. He was speaking about the need to prevent terrorist organisations from using social media to recruit new members, which has demonstrably happened.

- That may or may not be a slippery slope (in my view it is), but it is not an outlandish view. It was the view of every single candidate in the US election this year (bar perhaps Rand Paul), including [Hillary Clinton, who said almost the same thing word-for-word](http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/12/07/us/politics/hillary-clinton-islamic-state-saban-forum.html?_r=1&referer=). I suspect this view - that platforms should not harbour terrorists - is held further abroad, too. Freedom of speech is not and has never been absolute.

- Some people like freedom and others do not. Some people want to curb free speech because they consider some language to be offensive. Some political parties want to tax one industry but not another. Some societies fear that allowing women an equal say in decision-making deprives the men of the power to protect and provide for the women and children. In any society which builds itself on the oppression of others, the granting of freedom equals loss of control and loss of status. Freedom implies the possibility that you and others can either engage in or be subject to dangerous, destructive, damaging behaviour. We are afraid that we might hurt someone, because we are not responsible enough, or we are afraid that other people might hurt us, because they have freedom but not our sense of responsibility. My point is, what Trump said about freedom online is neither controversial nor a minority view, because the human condition tends to run towards runaway inequality and eventually to aristocracy and beyond (see: history).

- It is interesting that Trump thinks Bill Gates would be the gatekeeper of the Internet. I wonder if he said this because he knows his base knows who Bill Gates is, but may not be familiar with the likes of Mark Zuckerberg.

Ayden Férdeline
[linkedin.com/in/ferdeline](http://www.linkedin.com/in/ferdeline)