[NCUC-DISCUSS] important information

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Fri Aug 12 12:29:55 CEST 2016

Hi

> On Aug 11, 2016, at 20:14, Rao Naveed Bin Rais <naveedbinrais at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> However, I just wonder if the violation was made recently or is it an old matter. As far as I remember, Peter has been serving the EC representing the AP region for around 3 years and anyways is not eligible to contest for the next elections on the EC seat.

Despite my trepidation about discussing previously private comms, under the circumstances I guess should respond to this.

It came to my attention on 1 September 2015, when I was NCUC chair, that Peter was participating in the Specification 11 drafting team as a registry representative.  I sent him a private note saying um, it doesn’t seem entirely consistent with the bylaws for a member of our Executive Committee to be participating and advocating on behalf of another stakeholder group, especially one with whom we are at times on different sides of issues.   I suggested I thought he should decide which role he wanted to play, and left it at that.    He thanked me for not making a public issue out of it, and said that of course he wanted to stay in NCUC and on the Executive Committee, so he would resign from being a registry rep on the drafting team.  I was therefore rather surprised to be told by someone else (don’t recall when, but in the past couple months) that he was still serving on the drafting team representing his employer.  I don’t know what to make of the discrepancy between what I was told almost a year ago and what has been done since.  Either way, the answer to the question of whether this concern came out of the blue without warning is, no.

I didn’t know what the current Executive Committee planned to do until it was announced here a couple days ago.  At this point, I would suggest we recognize that our reps are doing their best to deal with a difficult situation and act in the constituency’s interest.  I know they also are working hard on revising our bylaws, and perhaps this experience will be helpful in that regard.  We will need to tighten things up on role conflicts and other procedural matters in light of the coming SOAC accountability process.

Finally, I emphatically agree with those who’ve noted that none of this is personal.  I was happy to have Peter as a EC colleague in my time and look forward to our future interactions etc.

Best

Bill