[NCUC-DISCUSS] important information

farzaneh badii farzaneh.badii at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 18:36:29 CEST 2016

Hello Zakir,

Initially, we sent a private message to Peter to resign. Why? Because we
did not want Peter to be under public scrutiny. We had to make our email
public because unfortunately we did not receive a response from Peter
challenging us or resigning but we found out that other people have been
informed. We did not want some of our members to know about the issue while
others didn't hence had to announce it.

We are the executive committee elected by the constituency  (not appointed)
and we have to to make decisions. As to the procedural matters, first I
have to say I stand up for the principles of procedural justice and have
spent a long time working on them. But in this case, our members are
voicing concerns about   procedural matters which are very important in
many situations but in our situation, these procedural matters should be
considered in light of the nature of our functioning and work. I have
several remarks on this.

We are not an adversarial body, we are an executive committee. While we
have to observe the principles of procedural justice we can decide how we
approach issues and make decisions and of course provide plausible
rationales for those decisions. Not all procedural justice principles (I am
adamant not to use due process, I think it's the wrong usage) apply to
every situation. For example in the beginning, transparency would not have
been in favor of Peter. But we had to make the matter public because Peter
did not directly communicate with us.

In the beginning, EC decided not to make the matter public(because of the
reason I said above), communication took place between EC members
(respected his privacy and maintained confidentiality), told Peter the
basis of EC decision, one of the pillars of justice is to give reason for
the decision , and requested him to resign from EC (which is pragmatic
justice, clear instructions on what we wanted him to do).  Please note that
nothing is final at this stage.

You should also know that this issue was raised over a year ago when some
of us were not on the Executive Committee and Peter was warned about this.
We did not make a hasty decision.

What I have also been hearing is whether Peter had the chance to provide
evidence or defend himself. The decision to ask *Peter to resign from EC *(note
that he was asked to resign from EC not NCUC) has been made primarily based
on one fact that cannot be challenged nor defended: Peter is a full-time
employee of a registry. Based on our interpretation of the bylaws and
considering other matters such as the integrity of our constituency we
decided that Peter should *resign from EC. *

Some may dispute our decision and  might disagree that the fact that Peter
works for a registry and is in a leadership role at NCUC do not hamper our
integrity. I think it is necessary for us to discuss things with our
members and inform them of the decisions which I have tried to actively do
and we need to listen to our members and members should be able to
challenge us. However, in the end, EC has to make a decision. At the moment
the mechanism to challenge and hold the EC accountable as Milton said is
through elections. If the majority of members are concerned with the way EC
makes decisions then they can vote against them. If it gets to the point
that members do not see elections as a sufficient tool or optimal, some
other measures maybe considered.

EC should and we try our best to take fair decisions.

The next step for us (EC) is to have a meeting with Peter. This meeting
will be transcribed and notes will be taken.

Best

Farzaneh

Farzaneh