[NCUC-DISCUSS] important information

Mueller, Milton L milton at gatech.edu
Thu Aug 11 15:17:04 CEST 2016

I think Remmy has hit the nail on the head. We are waiting for Peter Green to respond. People who intervene in this situation purporting to speak for him or arguing the case are not helping the situation. Instead they are turning it into a political football and wasting everyone’s time.

To Kathy and Carlos I say, first, let Peter speak for himself. He was sent the request more than a week ago and has not responded. The NCUC EC consists of 6 people, all elected by you to manage the affairs of the constituency. All 5 of us who are eligible have looked at the facts of this situation and unanimously came to the conclusion that Peter was ineligible for membership and should resign. He was privately asked for a response. Instead of responding to us, he has worked indirectly through proxies, some of whom claim they are not even in communication with him. It is really interesting that this private message to him suddenly had to become a public controversy? Clearly some other agenda is at play here.

Second, Kathy is simply wrong about the membership eligibility question. The EC has the records: Peter joined under section 2 of the individual membership requirement, which states: “I am an individual internet user who is primarily concerned with the public interest aspects of domain name policy and I am not represented in ICANN through membership in another supporting organization or GNSO stakeholder group.” That claim is clearly false. Peter did not claim that he has a personal domain, and there is no evidence that he has registered a personal domain. This is an example of why it is not helpful at this stage for people who don’t know the facts and who claim to not even be in communication with Peter to pipe down.

Desiree Milosevich was a research fellow at the Oxford Internet Institute when she joined NCUC as an individual many years ago; our current records show she is no longer an active member. More to the point, she is not elected on the EC. If she is still working for Afilias and were to run for the EC I would strongly oppose her candidacy, as should we all.

In closing I would say that the functioning of our constituency depends on having an effective and efficient EC. It’s a lot of work and its all volunteer. The EC is trying to stand up for the integrity of the NCUC, that’s all. Please do not encourage the people who are trying to subvert the EC’s efforts to handle this situation by fostering confusion and dissension on the public list. If our assessment of the situation is wrong, there are very direct accountability mechanisms, such as not re-electing us or running against us. Speaking for myself, I would happily run in the next EC election on a platform of not allowing Registry constituency employees to be running our constituency. It’s a principle I would, as they say in consensus debate, die in a ditch for. I would happily invite anyone who disagrees to run against me. Let the members decide who’s got this right

Dr. Milton L. Mueller
Professor, School of Public Policy
Georgia Institute of Technology