[NCUC-DISCUSS] LAC/Developing countries engagement strategies

Renata Aquino Ribeiro raquino at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 17:37:37 CEST 2016

Hi all

Just wanted to clarify a point of a question I made during the candidates call

It is great that both NCSG and NCUC have amazing LAC representatives.
They not only represent the region but maintain online actions
engaging civil society in IG which are key to participating in LAC.
A while ago there was a comment about one of the reps current address
being in EU. I do not mind and have not heard about any LAC colleague
that worries about this. It is more important what someone lives as
coming from the region and doing work for it than actually living
there. Speaking as a researcher, the few opportunities I had of doing
work abroad were very impactful for the group and region I come from.

So the point was

Given the low level of participation of LAC and other developing
regions in policymaking process at GNSO, it is important that the
candidates keep thinking about strategies to listen to these voices.
Specifically in LAC's case, the disengagment due to the ICANN's 2 year
distance from the region will only worsen. Other sectors in ICANN have
been working on ways to react to this. I have seen no reaction from
GNSO or NCUC/NCSG.

So without addressing this problem, it does not seem possible that
there will be new engagement of volunteers in GNSO.

That was just an observation.

Best

Renata