[NCUC-DISCUSS] Pilot Program

William Drake wjdrake at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 09:52:56 CEST 2016

Hi

> On Apr 26, 2016, at 07:19, James Gannon <james at cyberinvasion.net> wrote:
>
> Fully agree with Sana, and Kathy.
> This is a pilot program and no-one is suggesting ICANN or WBC develop policy for us, the members will always be the gatekeeper, lets try the pilot and see if it works, if it doesn’t fine then at least we have tried and evaluated, killing this before its started I don’t think is a wise use of our time.
>
> -James

+1 James, rejecting it out of hand ex ante doesn’t make sense to me either.  Remember that similar arguments were raised about accepting a little admin support, and it’s turned out the part time help we’ve received there has been valuable and hasn’t compromised our independence or integrity. The conversations on this pilot that I was party to when chairing revealed no dark agendas to control or co-opt us, but rather a desire to respond to the community’s cries for help due to widespread burnout and bandwidth issues.  So personally I’d give it a shot—insist on having a person we’re comfortable, establish clear boundaries for what we do and don’t want from them, work with the person, assess the experience carefully, and if it turns out to be more headache than helpful, terminate it then based on actual experience.

Best

Bill