[NCUC-DISCUSS] Pilot Program

Edward Morris egmorris1 at toast.net
Tue Apr 26 06:24:33 CEST 2016

Kathy,

Last night four very tired, overworked volunteers were on a call to develop a public comment on ICANN's FY17 Operating Plan and Budget. Five hundred NCSG members were not on this call. In my view the solution to our staffing problem is not to turn policy research and development over to ICANN but rather to try to make this group work as it should by involving more of our members in policy work.

Let's take a look at this program. ICANN proposes helping the NCUC  "with support for the research, development, collaboration, drafting and editing of documents for submission within the policy development processes of ICANN". By support they mean having a staffer research, write and direct policy calls.

Who is this staffer? Leading experts in the fields we deal with? No. ICANN proposes giving us support by staffers that fit this description:  "a Master or Ph.D student, or recent graduates in one of the following areas would be most preferred: computer security, computer science, information science, engineering and public policy".

Let me get this straight: members of the NCUC who are students, professors or academics in these fields are still expected to donate their time for free doing policy at ICANN while we have young people in or just out of school getting paid to do roughly the same work?

It gets better. As David Olive writes: "We would also welcome your input on any specific individuals you might recommend to serve in a test support role for the community. ICANN procurement principles would prevent someone from the same community helping out within that community, but if you are aware of any skilled writers and researchers who are interested in a temporary assignment, please let me know.".

So anyone in the NCUC, any of our many Masters or PhD students currently donating your time: Let David know you want to get paid for your work in ICANN. Sure, you'll have to work for another constituency or stakeholder group but at least you'll get paid. Who cares about your values or personal beliefs?

I consider my work here to be public service. It does not and will never appear on my resume. Others are here as representatives of their civil society organization. They do get paid for their work here, albeit indirectly. Still, there very much is a volunteer ethos in the NCUC. Going down the road proposed by ICANN corporate will undoubtedly kill that spirit. I've seen it happen in political campaigns where paid and volunteer staff often run into problems working with each other in harmony and void of jealousy. The volunteers resent those being paid.

As Milton has written, we haven't worked so hard to restructure this corporation into one where the ultimate power is community based to now allow staff to better manage the community.

I guess I can put this in more personal terms:  If we are going to start paying people to do what I now do for free, don't expect me to do it for free anymore. Yes, ICANN's support in this area could help us but ONLY by agreeing to contract with our own people to provide these services. As it stands now the only people not eligible to work in these new roles for the NCUC are NCUC members. Yet our members are free to work for other constituencies and stakeholder groups. Does this somehow make sense to anyone?

Yes, last night four tired, overworked NCUC volunteers worked on a NCSG public comment on the FY17 Budget. I've seen a draft of ALAC's public comments, written with staff assistance. I've seen the RSSAC comments. Our public comment will be superior to those, as our comments often are. That's because of the talent and commitment of the volunteer members of the NCUC.

We do not need ICANN corporate to pay non NCUC member students they select to do our policy development for us. We certainly could use help and resources in this area but not this type of help. But if we decide to go in this direction...

 I wonder if I really could get hired and help the IPC write policy documents porting the new gTLD RPM's over to legacy gTLD's. Personally, I think that's a terrible idea and as a NCUC volunteer I've been prepared to fight it but I do need to pay bills so...so much for my public service ethos.

 This program is a poorly designed bad idea.

Kind Regards,

Ed