[NCUC-DISCUSS] CIS Response to the ICANN Ombudsman's Office

Mueller, Milton L milton at gatech.edu
Fri Apr 22 00:36:35 CEST 2016

Agree with Stephanie. The CIS statements have not been balanced or convincing. The ombudsman statement also had some problems but I have not heard any convincing arguments against his key point that this was not a highly serious incident. I do believe the ombud erred in not continuing the investigation, but find it understandable in that it is difficult for him to take responsibility for conducting an impartial investigation when the accuser chooses to go to the court of public opinion and publicizes all the email exchanges.

I would encourage everyone involved to take a balanced approach to this issue and not play politics with it. Recognize that these kinds of issues are easily exploited by people (on both sides) to create a polarizing identity politics that draws lines based on generic categories. What matters are the facts and an appropriate response to the facts. We need to respect the individuality of each case and each person and not respond based on symbols and preconceived categories.

Milton L Mueller
Professor, School of Public Policy
Georgia Institute of Technology