[NCUC-DISCUSS] Panama Papers - privacy, data and media manipulation - Re: Information Internet

Renata Aquino Ribeiro raquino at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 20:12:46 CEST 2016

Hi

Well, now, the NYT recommends some American states for addresses of shell
companies
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/04/08/business/need-to-hide-some-income-you-dont-have-to-go-to-panama.html?_r=0&referer=http

Also another hashtag #MossackFonseca or #MossackFonsecaPapers brings other
sides to the story (Pro and Against the association to Panama)

Indeed some interesting points in these debates:

* The idea of privacy only for some (i.e. those who can afford emails such
as @tradedirect.biz ) or for everyone.

* The debate about education on cryptography, cybersecurity etc. which
should be responsiblity for companies but, somehow, also for govts who
should have laws in data protection and the provisions on when this data
can an can not be shared (something Brazil is also struggling) - and the
role of media in sharing this data

* The notions of democracy, citizen participation and data protection - how
these intertwine

* How can international data protection laws coexist and how to act
internationally with them

Best,

Renata