[NCUC-DISCUSS] Global Connect Initiative?

Mueller, Milton L milton.mueller at pubpolicy.gatech.edu
Sat Sep 26 17:36:42 CEST 2015

I would oppose signing it. My opposition comes partly from it being outside of NCUC’s remit as a GNSO constituency and partly from the fact that there are parts of the statement I don’t agree with. Even those parts I do agree with I think raise false expectations for no purpose other than the political posturing benefit of the proposers. Did I miss something or how many trillions of dollars are being allocated to this program in order to move African internet penetration up from 16% to, um, 30%? I see a lot of feelgood statements about how the world needs more internet and not a single concrete proposal that moves us toward that goal, and  I just have an inherent tendency to resist being drawn into these kinds of PR things.

--MM