[NCUC-DISCUSS] I CAN NAB THE NET [was : What's happening at ICANN?]

JFC Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Sun Oct 11 00:54:02 CEST 2015

Brian,

Nabbing the net is an urban manner to describe
what ICANN has always claimed: to be a radical
“market monopoly” legitimacy (cf. Ivan Illich -
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivan_Illich>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivan_Illich).
This WG has made the IETF endorse that project,
bringing in the former technical status quo, and
hopefully for ICANN the control of the
permissionless innovation in the wedding basket.

The way it is promoted by the US industries’
political, financial, and legal lobbies is
clever. However, it is strategically and technically bugged.
- Strategically it relies on the intent to Be
Unilaterally Global (BUG), something that cannot technically stand,
- and technically on the IP stack, which misses
the OSI layer six and its extensions.

I will not tell a British person how a "Rule
America" strategy cannot succeed and the author
of RFC 1958 that the problem is at the fringe and
in the way it handles the edge.

Now, there are four "communities" along the ICANN
thinking and vision: names, addresses, protocols,
and stakeholders. And that within a world
prevalent in packet switch technology being
diversely used. For me, there are also the
(un)informed users (IUsers). Since 1986 (when the
NSA closed my shop and started the IETF with my
competition, due to Jon Postel's RFC 923), the
only option was to experiment and try to help the
adaptation along. Since the NSA was put in the
minority in Dubai by other NSAs from Europe,
BRICS, etc., things have started being potentially more open.

The ICANN Big Bug is only a bug. Fix the bug, and
then things will go even better. I have
identified this bug in a way that you should be
in a position to easily falsify if I am wrong.
You and many others have tried it, not by serious
thinking but rather by way of political and
technical authority and - for a few - commercial interest.

Now you are starting to share (parts of) my concern.

It is up to you to be honest with yourself. It
took a long way for me to develop, test, and
convince myself that the UNIX/NSA approach was
inadequate, or at least incomplete - and the one
we deployed worldwide from 1977 to 1986 was correct.

I do not claim that I am right. I just want to
test if I am right and then advise others to
consider what they think should be better and test it.

Cheers,

jfc

At 21:12 09/10/2015, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
>Could this WG, or the IETF as a whole, please get an update from our liaisons
>to the ICANN Board? The press stories are getting rather alarming, e.g.
>http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/10/08/icann_fires_fear_fuzzy_logic_iana_transition/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/08/17/icann_ceo_going_to_private_equity_firur
m/