[NCUC-DISCUSS] NCUC ELECTIONS 2015

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Sat Oct 24 18:25:27 CEST 2015

Hello

Now that NCSG has wrapped up its early Autumn election and ICANN’s Annual Meeting in Dublin is behind us, it is NCUC's turn for elections.  We need to elect a Chair and an Executive Committee for 2016.   We stretch this over six weeks so there’s plenty of time for each step in the process; the cycle will begin this Monday 26 October and conclude Sunday 6 December.

I.  Positions

The positions to be filled are:

1.  Chair  						[currently held by William Drake, term limited, vacating for NomCom]
2.  EC – Europe					[currently held by Stefania Milan, vacating for the GNSO Council]
3.  EC - Africa					[currently held by Grace Githaiga, eligible for reelection]
4.  EC – Asia/Australia/Pacific		[currently held by Peter Green (aka Zuan Zhang 张 钻), eligible for reelection]
5.  EC – North America		 	[currently held by  Roy Balleste, eligible for reelection]
6.  EC – Latin America/ Caribbean 	[currently held by João Carlos R. Caribe, eligible for reelection]

Biographies on the current members are available from http://www.ncuc.org/governance/executive-committee/ <http://www.ncuc.org/governance/executive-committee/>

NCUC really needs committed volunteers who are really willing to donate a few hours a week to collaboration in order to help ensure that civil society's voice is heard in ICANN.  The EC’s responsibilities are primarily in the realm of constituency administrative management, inreach and outreach, and interfacing with ICANN’s staff and community as needed (GNSO policy work being the province of the participants in the NCSG Policy Committee, GNSO Council, and GNSO working groups).    If you think that you or someone you know would be well suited to the tasks involved, then please consider nominating accordingly.

II.  Timetable

The process begins this coming Monday, 26 October.  The timetable will be as follows:

26 Oct. - 8 Nov.: 	Nominations submitted to ncuc-discuss
9-22 November:   	Candidates submit statements to ncuc-discuss
23 Nov. - 6 Dec.: 	Election period
7 December: 		Results announced

During the first two-week period, any member can self-nominate or nominate any other member http://www.ncuc.org/about/members/ <http://www.ncuc.org/about/members/> (usually best to check with them first).  During the second two-week period, nominees must notify colleagues via the mail list whether they accept the nomination, and if they do, submit a candidate statement (see below).  At the beginning of the third two-week period, ballots will be emailed by ICANN staff, and voting will occur on a secure website.  Staff will then run the tally software and announce the vote, and the new EC will be set up soon thereafter.

III.  Participation

As you know, in accordance with its Charter, NCSG’s chair does a formal "check-in” procedure (probably necessary in the SG context), and members who do not reply in time to multiple email promptings become ineligible to vote in the election cycle.

In contrast, NCUC’s Bylaws don’t require a formal check-in, and we have never done one.  Whether in the future we might want to move in this direction has been discussed in the EC before and might merit consideration again (there are pluses and minuses to it), but for now we will stick with our simplified traditional approach.  Everyone who’s a member as of 30 days before the election (i.e. now) is eligible to vote, and the results in contested cases are based on simple majorities irrespective of what percentage of members “turns out” to vote.

That said, we obviously must have your correct current email address in our data base in order for staff to send you a ballot.  So within the next couple weeks, Maryam Bakoshi will send mail to every address in our data base asking for a reply email confirming that it is the valid address for the individual member or organizational representative listed at http://www.ncuc.org/about/members/ <http://www.ncuc.org/about/members/>.  Please make sure that her message does not get lost in a spam filter.  Her address  maryam.bakoshi at icann.org <mailto:maryam.bakoshi at icann.org>  While you’re at it, you might want to double check that you are correctly listed on the members page as well.

IV.  Candidate Statements

For when we get to this stage, the standard list of questions we’ve asked people over the years is as follows:

1. Why do you want to serve on the EC?

2. Provide a brief biography of recent experience, associations, and affiliations relevant to serving on the Executive Committee. Describe the relevance of your personal and professional experience to serve on the NCUC Executive Committee, and identify any conflicts of interests you might have.

3. The EC performs several functional responsibilities for the Constituency.  What  level of time commitment can you bring to your EC role on a weekly and overall basis?  Describe any concerns or limitations on your ability to attend online meetings of the Executive Committee and ICANN Meetings in person.

4. Communication with the membership is critical. How would you keep members apprised of your EC-related activities?

5. How do you foresee NCUC’s function, scale, or role changing in the future? What areas of ICANN policy, if any, need more attention and why?

Incumbent candidates should answer in a manner that is both backward and forward looking, i.e. taking note of their contributions and work in the previous year.

The statements should be relatively concise, e.g. a couple paragraphs per question.

V.  "Meet the Candidates” Virtual Meeting?

In the past we’ve scheduled Adobe Connect sessions where members could ask the candidates questions etc.  If there’s demand to do this again (esp. if, as one hopes, there’s competition for slots) we can schedule a session during the election period.

If there are any questions, just ask.  Otherwise, please do keep this election schedule on your radar,  consider whether you or someone you know might like to stand for election to one of the above posts, ensure that we have your email address, and when the time comes, vote.  It’s really important.

Thanks much,

Bill

William J. Drake
International Fellow & Lecturer