[NCUC-DISCUSS] From a friend re: TPP and intellectual property

DeeDee Halleck deedeehalleck at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 17:22:28 CEST 2015

Last week, WikiLeaks released the final text of the TPP’s intellectual
property rights chapter and it is absolutely terrifying.

These are just a few of its most dangerous pieces:

Compel ISPs to take down websites without any sort of court order, just
like SOPA. (Appendix Section I)

Extend the US’s copyright regime to require copyrights stand for life plus
70 years, preventing anyone from using works that belong in the public
domain. (Article QQ.G.6)

Criminalize whistleblowing by extending trade secrets laws without any
mandatory exemptions for whistleblowers or investigative journalists.
(QQ.H.8)

End anonymity online by forcing every domain name to be associated with a
real name and address. (Article QQ.C.12)

Make it illegal to unlock, modify, or generally tinker with a device you
own. (Article QQ.G.10)

Export the US’s broken copyright policies to the rest of the world without
expanding any of the free speech protections, like fair use. (Article
QQ.G.17)

The worst part is that this is just one of the TPP’s 30 chapters.

The final text confirms our worst fears — click here to take action
demanding Congress vote NO on the TPP.

For years, governments have held critics of the massive Trans-Pacific
Partnership agreement in a perfect catch 22. Officials brushed off public
outcry and concern by claiming that the dissenters didn’t have all the
facts.

This was by design—the 12 country trade deal was negotiated entirely behind
closed doors by industry lobbyists and government appointees, and even now
the text of the agreement is still classified.

But late last week, WikiLeaks released the final text of the Intellectual
Property chapter, meaning those excuses won’t work anymore.

We’re planning to go all out against the TPP, but the first step is to make
sure Congress knows just how many people oppose the TPP.

Click here to take action demanding Congress vote NO on the TPP.

Taking action today is just the beginning, because if all we do is send
emails and make phone calls, Congress is not going to reject the TPP. Too
many giant industries are seriously invested in making sure Congress
ratifies the TPP.

If we’re going to win, we need to go big. Which is exactly what we’re going
to do.

So take action right now. Contact your Congresspeople now and tell them to
vote against the TPP. Then get ready to do more because we’re going to
unleash some of our strongest campaigns ever.

Already we have plans to work with hundreds of different groups as a
massive coalition to fight the TPP, coordinate gigantic on-the-ground
protests in key cities across the country, and produce compelling content
to spread the word to as many different audiences as possible just what is
at stake in the TPP.

To do all that, we need your help — if you can, pledge to chip in $5 every
month between now and when the TPP fight ends so that we can run our
biggest, boldest, and best campaign yet.

Thanks for all you do,
Charlie

--
http://www.deepdishwavesofchange.org