[NCUC-DISCUSS] Estonia

Tapani Tarvainen tapani.tarvainen at effi.org
Sun Nov 8 13:13:26 CET 2015

On Nov 08 22:49, Andrew Donnellan (andrew at donnellan.id.au) wrote:

> (Lurker here, but Estonian e-residency is a particular area of
> interest of mine...)

So it was useful to suggest it if only in bringing a lurker to the surface!

> On 8 November 2015 at 22:01, Tapani Tarvainen <tapani.tarvainen at effi.org> wrote:

> > if we later change Treasurer or choose a backup one
> > from, say, South Africa, he or she could get e-residency
> > without a need to travel to abroad.
>
> Your South African treasurer wouldn't strictly speaking have to travel
> over*seas*, but they would have to travel internationally to their
> nearest Estonian embassy... in Egypt.

Oops. Hadn't realized their consulates in SA won't do it.
Still, Egypt is easier for a South African than USA.

> Also, if you want to make any progress on this before, say, the middle
> of next year, I'd recommend applying for your Estonian e-residency
> cards approximately now, based on the ~5 months it took for me to get
> mine, not the ~60 days they promised...

Strange. A friend of mine got his in 2 weeks this fall.
Maybe I'll try it myself just to see how it works.

> Estonian e-residency - fascinating idea, execution is still somewhat
> sub-par. Which is fine, since the point of this whole program was
> experimentation - "government acting like a startup" - and teething
> problems happen, but personally I'd be giving it a little while before
> making it a core piece of organisational infrastructure.

Good point. But nonetheless even as less-than-perfect it'd
be useful addition to regular lots-of-paperwork approach,
if it turns out Estonia would be acceptable otherwise.

> FWIW, despite the flaws of the US banking system - from everything
> I've heard, even what we have here in Australia is better and more
> efficient - I don't see any fundamental issues with incorporating in
> the US.

Agreed. Nothing fundamental, but neither should we always assume
USA is the only or obviously best option.

--
Tapani Tarvainen