[NCUC-DISCUSS] NCUC 2015 Election―Candidacy Statement of Zuan Zhang ( Peter Green)

PeterGreen seekcommunications at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 22 19:22:32 CET 2015

Dear NCUCers,

Please find below my candidacy statement as one of the
incumbent members on the EC.

1. Why do you want to serve on the EC?

In 2016, we may witness a truly globalized ICANN
that is accountable to the whole multi-stakeholder community. For the ICANN
multi-stakeholder governance model, the AP region is relatively new, especially
the Chinese community with 700 million Internet users. It is a much different
culture. There are voices to hear for ICANN.

I want to continue my work on the EC representing AP
region, serving as a bridge to enable communication between NCUC/ICANN and the
AP region.

For the 2014-2015 term, I have made some progress. I
expect to do more.

I want to keep going and make my work in NCUC better
and make the EC running better and stronger.

Serving on the EC, I aim to promote more diversity
in geographical, linguistic and cultural terms in Asia-Pacific region.

2. Provide a brief biography of recent experience,
associations, and affiliations relevant to serving on the Executive Committee.
Describe the relevance of your personal and professional experience to serve on
the NCUC Executive Committee, and identify any conflicts of interests you might
have.

For me, the NCUC is a place to get things done first
and foremost, not talk about things.

During the past year:

a) I worked with others to create non-English
language NCUC brochures. Now there are eight versions in diverse languages. The
Chinese version was the first one that¡¯s completed. Please see: http://www.ncuc.org/brochure/.

b) To facilitate travel support for NCUC members, I
took to compose a new draft NCUC Travel Support Policy, which was finalized by
Bill and fellow EC members. Then we had our first recipient, Benjamin
Akinmoyeje from Nigeria, who was funded to attend ICANN 52.

c) When Bill was unable to run the process for selecting
NCUC Appointee for the 2016 NomCom, because he was a candidate and asked for
recusal, I took control and led the selection process on behalf of my fellow
candidates.

d) Uploaded the NCUC video to the most famous
Chinese video website¡ªYOUKU(ÓÅ¿á) to
promote NCUC in China for the first time.

Please see: http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTM3NTMwMjE0NA==.html.

e) Finished the documentation of NCUC Appointments
and Allocation of NCUC Travel Slots. So anyone especially new NCUC members
could get to know NCUC through lists in the documentation.

In January, 2015, along with fellow incumbent EC
members, I participated in the 2nd

Non-Contracted Parties House (NCPH) intersessional
meeting, which helps us build cooperation with the CSG party and do outreach
work in Washington.

In June 2015, I finished working in Translation and
Transliteration of WHOIS Contact Information PDP Working Group, which was
started in December, 2013.

In July, 2015, I joined the Universal Acceptance
working group to make IDN domain names work better in future.

From March to November 2015, I participated in several
workshops with the Chinese community regarding IANA stewardship transition and
enhancing ICANN accountability and submitted comments in the comment period on
behalf of my employer.

In addition, since March, 2015, I became a member of
ISOC Taiwan Taipei Chapter.

I do not have any conflict of interest.

3. The EC performs several functional responsibilities
for the Constituency. What level of time commitment can you bring to your EC
role on a weekly and overall basis? Describe any concerns or limitations on
your ability to attend online meetings of the Executive Committee and ICANN
Meetings in person.

Having served as the AP representative on the EC for
a complete term, I could contribute approximately 10 to 15 hours per week and
could continue to do so, even more hours if the work demands.

I have no problem for remote participation of
conference calls.

My employer is open for me to participate in ICANN
meetings in person if external funding is available, but I may not be able to
arrange funds by myself.

4. Communication with the membership is critical.
How would you keep members apprised of your EC-related activities?

In mid-2015, Walid, our former Coordinator of the
Membership Affairs Team, finished the NCUC Member Engagement Survey. Currently,
we have not yet taken full stock of the results of the survey.

For me, most of the new members do not know what is
going on in NCUC and would quite long to know activities of NCUC. Often when
they have questions, they are flooded with answers that lack in CONTEXT.

They need answers and words with related context.

So I am inclined to have communication with target members
who are having difficulty in understanding activities of NCUC.

I propose to establish the NCUC Head Coach mechanism
for new NCUC members.

By the Head Coach, I mean NCUC appoints two qualified
persons to coach new members to enable them understand NCUC as soon as possible.

Besides, I have the Fellow-Alumni Mailing list to
share and disseminate information.

In our localized Chinese community, we use the most
popular social media app¡ªWECHAT-- to inform people instantly.

5. How do you foresee NCUC¡¯s function, scale, or
role changing in the future? What areas of ICANN policy, if any, need more
attention and why?  Be concise (200 words maximum).

There will be a big change in the EC next year.
Stefania and Roy both will not be coming back. I will bring pertinence that the
EC truly needs. Among the things I hope to do in the next year:

a) Push for work to be done on non propriety
software. The use of Google Docs marginalized those of us in countries where it
is hard to access or banned. I have written a Letter for ICANN to Address the
Google Docs Platform, hoping ICANN could come up with a technical solution.

b) Continue to grow the NCUC in AP. As you see, we
have a diverse base of members from AP. However, there is potential to enlarge.
NCUC is much new in China. We have only several members from China. In the
coming year, I expect to cooperate with the ICANN Beijing Engagement Center as
well as Adam Peake¡ªthe Civil Society Engagement Coordinator in ICANN to host a
series of workshops in China to have more Chinese members. I need to make it
done.

c) Follow up on a very important PDP-- the Next
Generation WHOIS PDP. This PDP will address issues for an unprecedented model of
WHOIS data worldwide, which also exposes privacy risks. We need to take much
care of that from the civil society.

d) Continue to work in the Universal Acceptance
working group. Since the introduction of new gTLDs, users do not have much
knowledge of the IDN domain names due to some technical issues. With the work
of the UA working group, we may have much better applications of IDN names worldwide.

The fact that each year we have so many candidates
for the EC position demonstrates the growth we¡¯ve had here during my time on
the EC.

I am excited about working under Rafik¡¯s leadership.
He¡¯s done a great job for the NCSG and I¡¯m sure he¡¯ll do the same for the NCUC
¨Cthat¡¯s why I nominated him.

There is far more to do where I expect to earn your
support and continue to work for you.

If you have any questions please feel free to
contact me.

Best Regards

Zuan Zhang

ÕÅ×ê