[NCUC-DISCUSS] [CCWG-ACCT] Memo on Fundamental Bylaws & Legal Liability of Members

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 06:26:06 CEST 2015

I've now read and analyzed this memo carefully. Regrettably, its
conclusions are fundamentally incorrect.  Please see the annotated copy
attached.  Specifically, there is no potential that "exposes members [of
ICANN] to legal liability" based on the "corporate veil" analysis cited in
the memo.  Further, and as noted in the attached, I would reject the
"fundamental bylaw" analysis as well.  This may be irrelevant given our
shift in direction, but having considered the memo, I did not want it
floating around as a potentially legitimate source of analysis.

I would have liked to praise the memo, but unfortunately I have to suggest
we bury it.

Finally, with regard to the power of members to approve bylaws, this is
clearly set forth in Section 5150(b): "Bylaws may be adopted, amended or
repealed by approval of members."  Any confusion otherwise was based on the
misbegotten idea that the "ultimate authority of the board" applies even to
members.

Greg

*Gregory S. Shatan **ï* *Abelman Frayne & Schwab*

*Partner* *| IP | Technology | Media | Internet*

*666 Third Avenue | New York, NY 10017-5621*

*Direct*  212-885-9253 *| **Main* 212-949-9022

*Fax*  212-949-9190 *|* *Cell *917-816-6428

*gsshatan at lawabel.com <gsshatan at lawabel.com>*

*ICANN-related: gregshatanipc at gmail.com <gregshatanipc at gmail.com>*

*www.lawabel.com <http://www.lawabel.com/>*