[NCUC-DISCUSS] Global Connect Initiative?

Nnenna Nwakanma nnenna.nwakanma at webfoundation.org
Fri Dec 4 16:05:23 CET 2015

I attended the call.  Dont have any public docs as of now.  I did request

Best

Nnenna

On Fri, Dec 4, 2015 at 1:22 PM, Arun Mohan Sukumar <
arun.sukumar at orfonline.org> wrote:

> Hi, were any NCUC-ers able to attend the December 1 call on the State
> Department's Global Connect Initiative? We had a a good debate going on
> about this here, and was wondering if more details about the initiative are
> now out.
>
> Best,
> Arun
>
> --
> Head, Cyber Initiative
> Observer Research Foundation, New Delhi
> http://amsukumar.tumblr.com
> +91-9871943272
>
> On Wed, Sep 30, 2015 at 6:39 PM, Norbert Klein <nhklein at gmx.net> wrote:
>
>> +1 for all what was said here.
>>
>> Norbert Klein
>>
>> =
>>

>> On 09/30/2015 06:09 PM, Arun Mohan Sukumar wrote:
>>
>> With Milton on this, but let's wait for the text, IMO. If there is some
>> role for ICANN, then it's important that non-commercial constituents
>> (either through the NCUC or through regional outreach initiatives) play a
>> significant role in pushing it.
>>
>> The initiative should not be some front for greater access to the private
>> sector.
>>
>> arun
>>
>> On Sun, Sep 27, 2015 at 12:47 PM, William Drake <william.drake at uzh.ch>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> On Sep 26, 2015, at 5:36 PM, Mueller, Milton L <
>>> milton.mueller at pubpolicy.gatech.edu> wrote:
>>>
>>> I would oppose signing it.
>>>

>>> anticipated :-)
>>>
>>> My opposition comes partly from it being outside of NCUC’s remit as a
>>> GNSO constituency
>>>

>>> It’d obviously be easier to assess the extent of overlap if we had the
>>> USG text, but they’re holding it for now. My guess from the DC civil
>>> society folks who started this is that there’s some, hence my question.
>>>
>>> and partly from the fact that there are parts of the statement I don’t
>>> agree with. Even those parts I do agree with I think raise false
>>> expectations for no purpose other than the political posturing benefit of
>>> the proposers. Did I miss something or how many trillions of dollars are
>>> being allocated to this program in order to move African internet
>>> penetration up from 16% to, um, 30%? I see a lot of feelgood statements
>>> about how the world needs more internet and not a single concrete proposal
>>> that moves us toward that goal, and  I just have an inherent tendency to
>>> resist being drawn into these kinds of PR things.
>>>

>>> Skepticism can have its advantages.  Personally I don’t think we know
>>> enough to be dismissive ex ante about what will actually be done, but fair
>>> point.
>>>
>>> Good to hear more thoughts.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> Bill

>> --
>> Head, Cyber Initiative
>> Observer Research Foundation, New Delhi
>> http://amsukumar.tumblr.com
>> +91-9871943272

Nnenna Nwakanma |  Africa Regional Coordinator
Africa  |  Online | +22507416820  | +2348101887065
Skype: nnenna75 | Twitter: @nnenna
*World Wide Web Foundation | **1110 Vermont Ave NW, Suite 500, Washington
DC 20005, USA | **www.webfoundation.org* <http://www.webfoundation.org/>* |
Twitter: @webfoundation*