[NCUC-DISCUSS] NCUC 16th Anniversary Celebration in Dublin?

Norbert Klein nhklein at gmx.net
Mon Aug 31 06:55:19 CEST 2015

Thanks, Bill, and all the others who are happy about a “sweet sixteen”
celebration.

It is good to lift up the “longevity of NCUC” as Robin said, and I think
this is not only a reference just to the 16 years, but also to a basic
perseverance with which we have maintained our basic orientation through
all these years, in spite of the difficulties we faced.

Who are the “early members who are still around ICANN” to whom James
referred? Well, I am one who was at the 1999 Santiago de Chile ICANN
meeting, where NCUC was looking for recognition, and then I moved slowly
to the role of Asia region representative in our Executive Committee (as
I was already in Cambodia at that time, where I had established the
first Internet connection in 1994), then GNSO, and finally NCUC sent me
into the ICANN Nomination Committee. - 2010 in Brussels was my last
presence at an ICANN meeting. Since then I am only on some lists – still
present for the Open Institute of Cambodia, but not so active, as I am
now living in the countryside in Cambodia, still struggling with stable
Internet access, while others in other parts of the world fight for Net
Neutrality, and recently more concerned for people who get into trouble
for what they write in a blog or paste into Facebook.

Have fun at the celebration.

Norbert

-

Norbert Klein