[NCUC-DISCUSS] NCUC Delegate to the ICANN 2016 NominatingCommittee

PeterGreen seekcommunications at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 5 06:00:17 CEST 2015

Before indicating my(standing as an individual NCUCer)support for nominating Bill as the NCUC delegate for 2016 NomCom, I would like to repsond to several notable points folks have made here:
Remmy Nweke:{As much as you [Bill] are eminently qualified among others, I think its high time NCUC begin to consider its delegation selection based on geographic diversity as advised by the NomCom.
Historically, I think the NomCom knows why that advisory on geographic diversity is important and a glance at NCUC delegations in recent years cannot prove to be in line with this.

May be we should come up with a rotational delegation to cut across all continents, moreso, when no one is a bank of knowledge. }

Amr:> Personally, considering the greater diversity in NCUC’s membership (relative to other groups within ICANN), I believe that regional diversity should always be a priority for this constituency. This should not be limited to leadership positions and other constituency selection processes, but also in participation in GNSO working groups where regional (such as African) participation is most important. How can we achieve African representation in our policy positions without African interests being presented as part of the discussions by those they affect the most?> > Having said that…, I’m not in favour of your proposal to have rotational selection based on regions. NCUC has only one appointee to the NomCom, and this appointment is too important to forgo appointing the most appropriate individual in favour of other criteria, no matter how laudable the reasons may be.
Agree with both Remmy and Amr that regional diversity is very important for NCUC the Constituency and ICANN community, however, what makes me to be inclined to echo Amr's point is that regional diversiy should not only be limited to seleciton processes. When we say regional diversity, especially in this case--selecting a NCUC delegate for 2016 NomCom,  it is to say that NomCom would consider regional diversity of its members for the whole NomCom structure, it is not advising Stakeholder Groups or Constituencies to select delegates on a special regional basis, other criteria should also be considered. Saying so, I think regional rotation is not appropiriate for a NomCom Delegation selection.   Please note the following : Specific criteria for selecting a delegate to the NomCom is provided in Article VII, Section 4 of ICANN’s Bylaws (http://www.icann.org/en/about/governance/bylaws#VII)  “Section 4. CRITERIA FOR SELECTION OF NOMINATING COMMITTEE DELEGATESDelegates to the ICANN Nominating Committee shall be:1. Accomplished persons of integrity, objectivity, and intelligence, with reputations for sound judgment and open minds, and with experience and competence with collegial large group decision-making;
2. Persons with wide contacts, broad experience in the Internet community, and a commitment to the success of ICANN;
3. Persons whom the selecting body is confident will consult widely and accept input in carrying out their responsibilities;
4. Persons who are neutral and objective, without any fixed personal commitments to particular individuals, organizations, or commercial objectives in carrying out their Nominating Committee responsibilities;
5. Persons with an understanding of ICANN's mission and the potential impact of ICANN's activities on the broader Internet community who are willing to serve as volunteers, without compensation other than the reimbursement of certain expenses; and
6. Persons who are able to work and communicate in written and spoken English.” NomCom delegates should have a high level network of contacts essential to candidate recruitment (and we hope the NCUC) - as sending entity will support your delegate and help them with outreach).Eligibility Exception - No person who is an employee of or paid consultant to ICANN (including the Ombudsman) shall simultaneously serve in any of the Nominating Committee positions as described in Article VII, Section 2 of ICANN’s Bylaws (https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/bylaws-2012-02-25-en#VII-2).The person should be able to join monthly teleconferences (typically 13:00 or 14:00 UTC).  Note that the committee's workload will increase significantly during Apr/May/June 2016 when the candidate assessment process will be at its busiest. Conference calls are held more frequently (typically weekly) during this time as well.The person must be able to attend the NomCom selection meeting in late June 2016. The person should be willing to work in a large, consensus-oriented committee. Stephanie:
> While I have already indicated my support for Bill, may I also suggest,
> as a tired multiple commentator on the Westlake GNSO review, that we
> need to ensure a lively, diverse field of candidates for all these
> positions, so that we are not fulfilling the criticism of not enough
> rotation of senior (travel-funded) positions in our
> constituency/stakeholder group.   I suspect no one will want to run
> against Bill, but we do need to have elections, not acclamations.
>
> Kind regards,
> Stephanie

Yes, for transparency,I propose we need a procedural selection process now.

Best RegardsPeter