[NCUC-DISCUSS] Another must-read about the CCWG accountability proposal

David Post david.g.post at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 23:31:53 CEST 2015

My colleague Danielle Kehl, in connection with another paper we're
doing on the transition and the accountability proposals, has come up
with a very useful spreadsheet that supplements Brenden's earlier
analysis of the voting allocations (at
http://www.internetgovernance.org/2015/08/11/ccwg-community-mechanism-threatens-to-upset-icann-balance/#comment-40415
).

You can access the spreadsheet here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1OqhS0LJmTQZpqnnKf8kVCHWW_1KH_6YMEWT815Rr27w/edit#gid=0

We were trying to figure out: how do the different voting allocation
schemes affect the kinds of coalitions among the different groups
that are necessary to take actions (or to veto actions by
others)?  Here's Danielle's description of how she put the
spreadsheet together:

"At the top I copied the chart from Brenden's original analysis, and
then using the percentages calculated the minimum number of SOs and
ACs in various combinations that it would take to get 75% for the
high threshold community powers like recalling the entire board or
approving a fundamental bylaw (and then what it would take to get a
25% coalition to block one of those actions) as well as the 66%
required to reject a budget/operating plan or veto a change to the
standard bylaw (and again, the 34% coalition you'd need to get to
block one of those actions). The colors aim to make it a little bit
easier to parse which of the voting structures we're looking at
(Current Proposal, Alternative #1, Alternative #2, and Alternative
#3). I called out the specific ACs in the current proposal since
they're apportioned different votes; everywhere else I just use SO or
AC generically since they're all weighted equally, although obviously
the ALAC and GAC are the ones of greater concern."

Standing alone it doesn't necessarily indicate which proposal is the
best one, but it should hopefully clarify the various positions on
that question -

David

David G Post - Senior Fellow, Open Technology Institute/New America Foundation
blog (Volokh Conspiracy) http://www.washingtonpost.com/people/david-post
book (Jefferson's Moose)  http://tinyurl.com/c327w2n
music http://tinyurl.com/davidpostmusic publications
etc.  http://www.davidpost.com