[NCUC-DISCUSS] Adding members' URLs on the website

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Thu Apr 30 17:06:00 CEST 2015

Hi

One of the things I have lamented here in the past was that when we transitioned from the old NCUC Ning to the new website (which is in every other way a vast improvement) we lost the social networking component, with which members were able to have individual pages and form networks of contacts and groups.  Arguably, this had the result of making us all a little less immediately knowable to each other at the very time that membership was growing significantly.  A priori, one would think it’d be nice if people didn’t have to google or whatever on a members' name when reading an email post and thinking hmm, who’s this. One simple thing we can do within the confines of our new Wordpress configuration is to at least put URLs for people who have pages next to their names (I gather that because the webpage is fed by the data base we can't just embed URLs under the names).  Maryam played around a little bit with this today to see how it’d look, added a Website column at http://www.ncuc.org/about/members/ <http://www.ncuc.org/about/members/> and a few organizations/individuals’ pages.

But before she goes any further, probably we should get permission from people to do it, as I suppose someone may prefer to not be so identified on our site.  Hence, may I ask that anyone who would like to have their URL listed please send her a note at <maryam.bakoshi at icann.org>.  Conversely, I guess if she doesn’t hear from the member whose URLs she added as an exercise she can remove them.

Thanks

Bill

PS: Maryam, please add www.williamdrake.org <http://www.williamdrake.org/>

William J. Drake