[NCUC-DISCUSS] Fwd: LA HIGH-INTEREST TOPIC SESSION

Marilia Maciel mariliamaciel at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 16:51:31 CEST 2014

Reading Avri´s list I wonder if we have space to propose a topic that was
not initially on the list. I would particularly support Avri´s first point.
If not, could we tweak the framing of the topics to make them open to
include some of our concerns?

Marília

On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 11:47 AM, Avri Doria <avri at acm.org> wrote:

> My top three
>

> Human Rights considerations at ICANN
>
> Discussion on outcomes to date from the ATRT2 report
>
> What does multistakeholder bottom-up process mean at ICANN  (this may be
> related to one there on essence of ICANN.)
>

> avri
>

> On 10-Sep-14 05:36, William Drake wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Does anyone have 3 preferences they’d like discussed?  The final
> decision will be an aggregation of feedback from across the SOACs…
> >
> > Bill
> >
> > Begin forwarded message:
> >
> >> From: David Olive <david.olive at icann.org>
> >>
> >> Dear Community Leaders:
> >>
> >> Thank you  very much for the feedback on potential High Interest Topics
> for your Monday session at the ICANN Public Meeting in Los Angeles.  Based
> on all your feedback, we’ve now got a list of 12 potential topics.
> >>
> >> Given time constraints and many different panel participants, you will
> all recall that for the Buenos Aires meeting we focused on just two primary
> topics.  I think, if possible, that should be your target again this time
> for the Los Angeles session.
> >>
> >> Between now and early next week, please share with me your ”top three”
> topics from the list below.  I will compile the results and hope that the
> feedback will narrow the topic choice to just a few topics that we can then
> confirm on next week’s CEO call with Fadi.
> >>
> >> Here’s the list we have to work from based on all your input:
> >>
> >> ·      1. NetMundial Initiative and Hand-off
> >> ·      2. Affirmation Review of gTLD Expansion
> >> ·      3. Planning for Next Round of New gTLDs
> >> ·      4. NomCom Improvements
> >> ·      5. Universal acceptance of new gTLDs (Two separate suggestions)
> >> ·      6. Disposition of Excess New gTLD Fees and Auction Proceeds.
> >> ·      7. Integration of the GAC into the GNSO policy process (also see
> GNSO Council suggestion - number 11 below)
> >>
> >> GNSO Council collected topics submitted by Jonathan:
> >>
> >> •      8. Trust In ICANN – A perception exists (real or imagined) that
> big decisions are made that exclude or disregard community input.  What
> causes for mistrust can be eliminated, and how? How do we see ICANN
> accountability as functional and effective? How should government influence
> work, where are its limits? Perhaps instead of focusing on one narrow topic
> we should initiate a series of bottom-up debates on how the community would
> like to see ICANN develop in the next years -- an “Agenda 2020” if you will.
> >> •      9. Legitimacy in Internet governance – The Internet today
> resembles a country where 1% of the population governs 99% of the
> population, and most don't even know that the 1% exists! Legitimate
> democratic governance depends on the awareness and participation of the
> populous. Legitimacy in Internet governance requires greater awareness and
> participation of stakeholders. Civil society is the most disenfranchised
> part of the whole processes, and it has the most to loose.
> [...]

*Marília Maciel*
Pesquisadora Gestora - Centro de Tecnologia e Sociedade - FGV Direito Rio
Researcher and Coordinator - Center for Technology & Society - FGV Law
School
http://direitorio.fgv.br/cts

DiploFoundation associate - www.diplomacy.edu
PoliTICs Magazine Advisory Committee - http://www.politics.org.br/
Subscribe "Digital Rights: Latin America & the Caribbean" -
http://www.digitalrightslac.net/en