[NCUC-DISCUSS] IMPORTANT: Crowdsource comments for ICANN Accountability Town Hall Tomorrow at IGF

William Drake wjdrake at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 08:08:56 CEST 2014

Hi

So I guess ICANN is throwing together a meeting tomorrow on short notice to "clarify any remaining questions about the Enhancing ICANN Accountability and Governance Process.”  Luckily this does not conflict with too much in terms of main sessions, although it’d be helpful to get it on the schedule, will see.

I’ve been asked to say a couple words (no idea how many) as chair of NCUC.  I don’t think Rafik will be here yet to speak for NGSG but Rudi should be for NPOC, so it’s constituency-level.  Which is not where we do things these days, but anyway.

As it will be in front of a diverse global audience many of whom are not involved in ICANN, potentially including governments and others who are not so well inclined toward ICANN and/or ‘the multistakeholder model,’ I’m mildly reluctant to get too far into bashing them over the head with internal stuff I might say at an ICANN meeting, so I’d like to strike some balance.  I won’t have time to think about this until breakfast tomorrow given a packed day today.  I’m cognizant also that all members have not been on the same regarding all aspects of this issue area, so would try to not be over-totalizing and reflect the diversity as relevant.

It would be really helpful if, in light of the past few weeks' events, people could supply a few bullet points of what they think should be said to Fadi and the board in this setting.  Points on which there is real consensus among us are particularly welcome, but points where there’s differences of view can be noted as well.

Please send some current thoughts, otherwise I’ll just draw on past consensus statements and my own lame dialogue > ex ante warfare inclinations.

Also, if there will be members attending let me know and I’ll flag in my comments that colleagues are here in the room and can offer their own thoughts as well.

I guess there will be remote participation, see below.

Thanks,

Bill

Begin forwarded message: