[NCUC-DISCUSS] Member address verification

Tapani Tarvainen ncuc at tapani.tarvainen.info
Wed Nov 26 12:36:55 CET 2014

On Nov 26 06:19, Timothe Litt (litt at acm.org) wrote:

> On 26-Nov-14 03:28, William Drake wrote:

> > A reminder on receiving e-ballots: Maryam Bakoshi has been sending
> > messages to the addresses we have in our member data base confirming
> > that they are still valid and should receive a ballot on 1 December*.

> It would be more useful if there were a web page that listed
> confirmation status (not e-mail addresses to prevent spammer address
> scraping).

It was considered but decided against due to concerns about
publicity (we don't want our members to feel they're being
publicly shamed or anything like that).

> Yes, I responded promptly, but there was no ack.  There was, however,
> another e-mail from Maryam shortly after the request that sent us to a
> page confirming our address.
>
> So I'm somewhat confused.  Is there one process?  Two?  If two, which
> are we using?

There should be only one process, but it's a bit rough
(read: a quick hack) and some extraneous and understandably
confusing messages have been sent. Apologies for that.

> Personally, I prefer a web-based process (assuming it's secure) - I
> expect it's less work for Maryam as well.

Yes, but building a secure website for the purpose would've
taken more time than we had available. Let's hope we'll have
one next time.

--
Tapani Tarvainen