[NCUC-DISCUSS] NCUC ELECTIONS 2014: NOMINATIONS CLOSED, CANDIDATE STATEMENTS TO BE SUBMITTED 17-30 DECEMBER

Grace Githaiga ggithaiga at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 18 21:40:03 CET 2014

@Bill, I think you meant November 30th and not December?
RgdsGrace

From: wjdrake at gmail.com
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 09:53:13 +0100
To: ncuc-discuss at lists.ncuc.org
Subject: [NCUC-DISCUSS] NCUC ELECTIONS 2014: NOMINATIONS CLOSED,	CANDIDATE STATEMENTS TO BE SUBMITTED 17-30 DECEMBER

Hello
So after a last minute flurry of nominations, the line-up of candidates for the NCUC EC is as follows:
1.  Chair 						Bill Drake						(nominated by Avri Doria)			2.  EC – Europe					Stefania Milan					(self-nomination)3.  EC – North America		 	Roy Balleste					(self-nomination)4.  EC – Latin America/ Caribbean 	João Carlos R. Caribé				(self-nomination)5.  EC – Asia/Australia/Pacific		Walid Al-Saqaf					(nominated by David Cake)							Imran Ahmed Shah				(self-nomination)							Peter Green (aka Zuan Zhang)		(nominated by Ed Morris)6.  EC - Africa					Grace Githaiga					(self-nomination)							Lorin Ekpe						(self-nomination)							Hago Dafalla					(self-nomination)

This echoes last year, when the nomination process resulted in a fairly similar slate of candidates http://lists.ncuc.org/pipermail/ncuc-discuss/2013-November/015713.html  But we do have two new faces so that’s a start…
So ok, the candidates now have two weeks, until 30 December to notify as to their willingness to stand and to submit candidate statements if so (it occurs to me that next year we might consider shortening this by a week to have a 5 week cycle, on the assumption people could be motivated to act within a week—to be discussed).
The candidate statements should respond to the questions that were circulated in my 29 October boot-up message and are repeated below.  Obviously, people who have served on the EC before should take care to reflect on what exactly they have contributed while “in office,” as well as to indicate what they would definitely be able to contribute in the coming year.  New candidates of course would do just the latter.
We have already received one such statement from Imran Ahmed Shah, who can leave it as is or revise it, up to him.

I.  Candidate Statements
1. Why do you want to serve on the EC?

2. Provide a brief biography of recent experience, associations, and affiliations relevant to serving on the Executive Committee. Describe the relevance of your personal and professional experience to serve on the NCUC Executive Committee, and identify any conflicts of interests you might have.

3. The EC performs several functional responsibilities for the Constituency.  What  level of time commitment can you bring to your EC role on a weekly and overall basis?  Describe any concerns or limitations on your ability to attend online meetings of the Executive Committee and ICANN Meetings in person.

4. Communication with the membership is critical. How would you keep members apprised of your EC-related activities?

5. How do you foresee NCUC’s function, scale, or role changing in the future? What areas of ICANN policy, if any, need more attention and why?
The statements should be relatively concise, e.g. a couple paragraphs per question.  Incumbent candidates should answer in a manner that is both backward and forward looking, i.e. taking note of contributions and work in the previous year.
II.  "Meet the Candidates” Virtual Meeting?
During last year’s election, we tried something new and scheduled an Adobe Connect session where members could ask the candidates questions etc.  If there’s demand to try this again we can schedule a session just prior to the election period.  Particularly since there three candidates each for the AP and African slots I would think this could be useful...
III.  Participation
Maryam Bakoshi has been sending messages to the addresses we have in our member data base confirming that they are still active and should receive a ballot on 1 December.  So far there are still quite a few members who have not responded.  If you have not and wish to participate, please send an email to her Maryam Bakoshi maryam.bakoshi at icann.org so she can check it against the data base.  Please do this as soon as possible. While you’re at it, you might want to double check that you are correctly listed at http://www.ncuc.org/about/members/  as well.
Thanks,
Bill

William J. Drake
International Fellow & Lecturer