[NCUC-DISCUSS] Membership engagement thread

Walid AL-SAQAF wsaqaf at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 22:53:47 CET 2014

Hello Bill,

Thanks for the frank email, which I found really well-thought and sums up
some of what I had personally gone through when I first joined about couple
of years ago. It also reflects on your sincere desire to address issues
that often go unnoticed yet are fundamental to the long-term effectiveness
of our constituency.

I think the problem emerges when a newbie, who is generally interested in
non-commercial aspects of ICANN, joins NCUC with expectations that he/she
will be acknowledged, guided, and contacted to provide feedback, and get
questions or concerns attended to.

Newbies can indeed get easily overwhelmed by the complexity, jargon, and
discussions about ongoing work. So their reaction could be in remaining
passive observers hoping to grasp what is going on one day. Some hang on
until they dig it while many may give up during the process, particularly
when they discover that the learning curve is too steep, demanding or
complicated.

While I think the situation needs to be analyzed more thoroughly, I suggest
that you host a virtual Skype chat with some relatively new NCUC members
who are eager to participate but have not yet been able to crack the ICANN
code.

What I suggest is to write and keep updated a wiki about NCUC with all the
necessary information formulated in a simple and easy to understand way. It
should also include updated sections on specific working groups including
who is working and what and timelines, etc. and links to discussions that
are going on and even videos and other stuff when possible.

Secondly, I suggest developing an electronic form (Google form perhaps) to
be filled by every new NCUC member and those who are still trying to have a
role. The survey should be simple yet comperhensive enough to know:

1) How well does the member know about NCUC and ICANN
2) What motivated him/her to join NCUC
3) Which areas or working groups already active within NCSG (to be listed
and linked to their corresponding sections in the wiki) are most appealing
to him/her
4) What particular new ideas or initiatives could the new member bring to
NCUC
5) How much time (in hours per week/month) could he put in voluntary work
to support NCUC within the areas answered in (3) above
6) Whether he/she would need mentorship or could suffice with the
introductory meeting and documentation
7) Any other thoughts about engagement in NCUC

I welcome your comments about the above and I sincerely hope that this
could be a turning point to the better for NCUC's engagement efforts.

Sincerely,

Walid