[NCUC-DISCUSS] Statement of candidacy of João Carlos Caribe for EC Latin America 2014 Election

João Carlos Rebello Caribé caribe at entropia.blog.br
Sat Nov 29 18:45:03 CET 2014

Statement of candidacy of João Carlos Caribé for the Executive Committee - Latin America

1. Why do you want to serve on the EC?

NCUC EC will be a great opportunity to engage more with ICANN and foster debates on this important moment for the IG. I wish to utilize my experience as Internet's activist focused in one Internet free, neutral and universal. Also using my experience as marketing professional to foment the debate beyond our cluster, bringing new voices from Civil Society to NCUC and IG.

2. Provide a brief biography of recent experience, associations, and affiliations relevant to serving on the Executive Committee. Describe the relevance of your personal and professional experience to serve on the NCUC Executive Committee, and identify any conflicts of interests you might have.

I am the policy coordinator and the creator of Movimento Mega <http://movimentomega.org.br/>, a Brazilian collective dedicated to internet policy issues at both national and global levels. Formerly self-called "Movimento Mega Não", the Movimento Mega was created to face the crescent internet freedom menaces as well the civil rights and human rights violations in Brazil through authoritarian bill projects in the Brazilian Parliament. In 2009 the “Mega Não” become a powerful platform for mobilization and information against threats to internet freedom, working from public hearings, lectures, interviews, flash mobs to blogging collective. It was the one of coordinator for the Brazilian Blackout against SOPA on January 18, achieving membership of over 400 sites in Brazil. In 2011, "Mega Não" won the Frida Prize, in "freedoms" category, as a project with a prominent activity in the public and political level to avoid censorship of the Internet. Prize offered by LACNIC, ISOC and IDRC and delivered during the LACNIC XVI in Buenos Aires <http://programafrida.net/libertades2011>. Movimento Mega is also member of ISOC Brazil, The Internet Defense League, Red Latam, Dynamic Coalition on Network Neutrality and the NCSG at ICANN.

My background is in engineering and marketing, currently I work as independent innovation consulting to private sector and on internet policy processes at national and global levels, with special attention on how decisions taken at international arenas such as UN affect national legislation as well everyday people lives. In the last year both myself and my organization have been working on the Internet Governance Forum (IGF), International Telecommunications Union (ITU) and ICANN, particularly in relation to the non commercial users perspective of the new gTLDs developments. My duties focuses the following activities: to coordinate the overall Movimento Mega's activities; to coordinate the political analyses and online content; to coordinate public hearings and mobilizations; to deliver presentations on internet policy, security, openness and privacy issues at academic and non academic events, congress and meetings. I am also member of Diplo Internet Governance Community.

3. The EC performs several functional responsibilities for the Constituency.  What  level of time commitment can you bring to your EC role on a weekly and overall basis?  Describe any concerns or limitations on your ability to attend online meetings of the Executive Committee and ICANN Meetings in person.

I will dedicate at least two hours a week, and more when needed to carry out EC tasks. I'm free to join the calls and/or in person meetings of the EC, when needed. Usually I don't have limitations to attend online or in person, when these are scheduled in timely manner.

4. Communication with the membership is critical. How would you keep members apprised of your EC-related activities?

I intend to use the default channel of communication with members trough regular posts on the lists. Also reaching out to members of NCUC to get their inputs and feedbacks. I participate in multiple lists that discuss IG and policy making, including some of LAC and Brazil region, that I must use to share information and captivate the interest to participate at NCUC. Finally using social media, through private and public spaces, to build interest and capacity building for new actors that has affinity with our constituency agenda.

5. How do you foresee NCUC’s function, scale, or role changing in the future? What areas of ICANN policy, if any, need more attention and why?

Networking is the key issue to continue strengthening the NCUC, a civil society stakeholder inside ICANN's complex structure, once important strengths of the civil society are directed related to the quantity and quality of capacity building of the citizens in the subjects of our agenda.

Inside the ICANN policy we have to work beyond gTLD's debate too, once the operation of gTLD become ICANN the richest "I"star member, and is important to discuss now policies and warranties about the use of this budget to forest Internet development focused in principles and objectives which respect the Internet ecossistem and the social development.

--
João Carlos R. Caribé
Consultor