[NCUC-DISCUSS] Friday 20 June Pre-event in London with non-ICANN civil society

William Drake wjdrake at gmail.com
Thu May 29 11:38:21 CEST 2014

Hello

Hi

Just a quick note to follow up on the message I rushed off to the list the other day as a “save the date.”  The below text was obviously written as an outreach mechanism to non-ICANN civil society organizations and individuals, the idea being to encourage people to come over for a bit of dialogue and info sharing and, should they get intrigued, to facilitate their meeting attendance and subsequent engagement in ICANN.  We thought we had to do Friday if we wanted to entice people who were not otherwise planning on attending to come over for a peek and an end-of-workweek drink.  This isn’t entirely convenient for those of us who are flying in that day, but hopefully enough members will be able to attend to make it work.  In addition, Jean-Jacques has secured a room for us late Saturday afternoon, so that members who can’t do Friday or who simply would like to continue the conversation about advancing CS engagement can gather to chat then as well.  More details on this when the overall meeting schedule starts to get clear.

For the Friday meeting, we would like to have some members play conversation facilitating roles on the individual program topics listed below, and will be in touch with them on that once the shape of our participation gets clearer.  If you can make it to the meeting please do RSVP to  jean-jacques.sahel at icann.org so we know who we’ll have from inside ICANN.

In addition, if anyone has contacts with civil society organizations and individuals who are not involved in ICANN but might be interested in sniffing around and seeing what this is about, e.g. folks involved in Internet-related human rights, privacy protection, freedom of expression, access to knowledge, development, etc. issues, please do shoot Jean-Jacques and I a note and we’ll conspire on getting invitations sent.  One tends to think that people based in the UK are the most likely to make the effort, but it might be that there are others in Europe or beyond who were thinking of maybe checking out the ICANN meeting and this would provide sufficient additional incentive, you never know...The room holds about fifty, and ideally we’d like to have at least a couple dozen non-ICANN CS people with us.

Thanks much

Bill