[NCUC-DISCUSS] ICANN News Alert -- Historic Singapore Meeting Marks the Beginning a New Phase for ICANN

Jean Guillon jean at guillon.com
Sat Mar 29 13:47:21 CET 2014

"a new phase of maturity and responsibility"

I wonder how it ends on .wine and .vin because future Registrants and
applicants are NOT satisfied at all. I am confident the ICANN CEO finds a
solution on this issue.

On Sat, Mar 29, 2014 at 10:48 AM, William Drake <wjdrake at gmail.com> wrote:

> > [http://www.icann.org/images/gradlogo_bow.jpg]<http://www.icann.org/>
> > News Alert
> >
> > http://www.icann.org/en/news/press/releases/release-28mar14-en
> >
> > ________________________________
> > Historic Singapore Meeting Marks the Beginning a New Phase for ICANN

> > Singapore... The President and CEO of the Internet Corporation for
> Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) says the organization's 49th meeting
> that just concluded in Singapore marked the beginning of a new era for the
> organization and the future of Internet governance.
> >
> > "ICANN49 will be remembered as a meeting that, in many ways, ended the
> early phase of ICANN and brought the organization into a new phase of
> maturity and responsibility," said Fadi Chehadé. "It is exemplified by the
> recent decision of the United States Government to hand us the very ominous
> responsibility to facilitate and convene the world toward determining how
> ICANN will be providing assurances of accountability across the board."
> >
> > Chehadé made the comments during a video interview<
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY3DbUVzyHQ&feature=youtu.be> at the
> conclusion of the Singapore meeting, for which more 1,940 people registered
> from 150 countries.
> >
> > "People from all over the world, from all segments of the Internet
> community are here, interacting not just with ICANN, but also interacting
> with each other," said Dr. Stephen Crocker, ICANN's Board Chair.
> >
> > The Singapore meeting was dominated by discussions stemming from the
> recent announcement by the U.S. Government that it wants to transfer
> stewardship of some vital Internet technical functions to provide for
> global accountability. It has reached out to ICANN, which will continue to
> manage those functions as it has for more than 15 years, to help determine
> the best process for transferring that stewardship.
> >
> > "These are important times," said Chehadé. "The U.S. Government has
> modulated its stewardship over time, it has dialed it down and this was
> just a natural moment for all this to happen, as the U.S. government has
> said, due to the community's readiness to actually embrace these
> responsibilities and establish the appropriate accountability mechanisms to
> replace the U.S. role."
> >
> > ###
> >
> > To view the video interview with ICANN President Fadi Chehadé and Board
> Chair Dr. Stephen D. Crocker, go here:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY3DbUVzyHQ&feature=youtu.be
> >
> > To learn more about the transfer of the Internet technical functions, go
> here: http://www.icann.org/en/about/agreements/iana/transition
> >
> > To download high resolution photos from the ICANN meeting go here:
> http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=icann49
> >
> > MEDIA CONTACTS:
> >
> > Brad White
> > ICANN Director of Global Media Affairs
> > Washington, D.C.
> > Tel. +1 (202) 570 7118
> > brad.white at icann.org<mailto:brad.white at icann.org>

> [...]

*Jean Guillon*
Mobile: +33.631109837
Twitter: @jeanguillon
Contact info: Guillon.tel <http://guillon.tel/>

*To register a new domain name, click here
<http://being.successfultogether.co.uk/click.asp?ref=686215&site=3759&type=text&tnb=62>.*