[NCUC-DISCUSS] ICANN privacy policy

Stephanie Perrin stephanie.perrin at mail.utoronto.ca
Thu Mar 27 06:14:23 CET 2014

Data protection law does not arrange itself around the way ICANN governs itself, or dictates the collection, use and disclosure of personal information to its stakeholders, and to the public which it governs through contractual reach.  I propose to sketch what a data protection policy would look like, if I were coming in here to draft for the organization.  Process:  first you interview people, collect documents, map the data elements and data flows.  I think I know enough to do that briefly now.  Then you map it to the framework….I am going to use an old amalgamated framework I did when working at the standards body in Europe (CEN/ISSS) because it is rather neutral.  That gives us elements for each principle.
Does that explanation help?  A privacy policy is a discrete instrument that is well known to folks in the privacy realm, we cannot draft a new ICANN style instrument anymore thane we could dictate to any other regulatory instrument how they would adjust to our multi-stakeholder environment….
i think once you see the draft, you will understand.  Right now what we have is a web declaration, that denies all liability.  Not quite adequate for the 21st century, at least in my view.
cheers Stephanie