[NCUC-DISCUSS] ICANN privacy policy

Stephanie Perrin stephanie.perrin at mail.utoronto.ca
Thu Mar 27 04:04:53 CET 2014

Personally, I made a commitment to get a document (short, 3 pages) to the Board as advice, soon.  We made the presentation as NCSG, but this discussion so far has been at NCUC.  We need to reach out to all of NCSG.  I have no idea who is on the other list, but perhaps the process could be for us to prepare a draft with the smaller group, many of whom have some expertise in data protection matters, then send it to the NCSG privacy list, which we should all join.  I think I am on it already, and I can send a summary of what we are up to to that list.
I don’t wish to stifle discussion, but the development of a privacy policy which is compliant to law is a matter which requires detailed knowledge of data protection law.  Our criticism was that the one they have does not comply, and I feel very comfortable making that assertion and going about proving it.  We should perhaps separate discussion of broader privacy issues, and the preparation of the draft.  It would be good to get the draft to Steve Crocker in a week or so, prior to Brazil.  Those are of course only my views, but I would want to honour my commitment promptly.
Cheers Stephanie