[NCUC-DISCUSS] Some interesting discussions are live at the hackers' conference this weekend

DeeDee Halleck deedeehalleck at gmail.com
Sun Jul 20 17:41:37 CEST 2014

http://www.hope.net

http://www.hope.net/schedule.html

for example: here's one discussion on evading surveillance:
linding The Surveillance State
<http://www.hope.net/schedule.html#blindingth>

Sun, 20 Jul 2014 17:00 (Manning)

We live in a surveillance state. Law enforcement and intelligence agencies
have access to a huge amount of data about us, enabling them to learn
intimate, private details about our lives. In part, the ease with which
they can obtain such information reflects the fact that our laws have
failed to keep up with advances in technology. However, privacy enhancing
technologies can offer real protections even when the law does not. That
intelligence agencies like the NSA are able to collect records about every
telephone call made in the United States or engage in the bulk surveillance
of Internet communications is only possible because so much of our data is
transmitted in the clear. The privacy enhancing technologies required to
make bulk surveillance impossible and targeted surveillance more difficult
already exist. We just need to start using them.
Speakers: Christopher Soghoian

--
http://www.deepdishwavesofchange.org