[NCUC-DISCUSS] NCUC involvement ICANN /Internet Governance Initiatives (1): 1Net

Jorge Amodio jmamodio at gmail.com
Wed Jan 8 02:35:23 CET 2014

> On Jan 7, 2014, at 6:56 PM, Marilia Maciel <mariliamaciel at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> ""I don't see the "de facto regulation" of my life by any private company"".
> Many people do feel that Google policies impact on their privacies and that FB vague norms to take down content affect their freedom of expression. Maybe you dont use any of such, or have a different opinion, fair enough. But is is definitely an issue for most.

Who forces you to use Google or Facebook if you don't like their terms of use ?

>  ""Agreements between operators are private commercial agreements executed under national and international laws where applicable"".
> There is extensive debate on cost of interconnection and extensive literature on how current commercial arrangements discourage peering and protect the market position of incubents. Besides, there is little transparency on contractual agreements and little oversight. What national and international laws? Interconnection is an unresolved issue.

I will don't deny that the interconnection costs are debatable but that is a fact that is not unique to the telecommunications industry.

I agree that interconnection is still an open issue, particularly in South America where operators and others still do not understand that exchanging all traffic in Miami does not makes much sense, but from an economics point of view where operators need to aggregate traffic to be able to play in the "peering game" and avoid paying additional transit costs they have no choice.

Internet is not free, somebody has to pay for all the pieces of the puzzle and people that make it work. Are the costs and profits fair everywhere? probably not, are you willing to pay more to have local interconnection ? probably not.

> ""Opaque development of standards" ?? Which standards and by whom ?""
> A basic principle guiding publicly relevant discussions is that they need to be put under discussion in a way that all interested parties can understand the implications and be engaged on the debate. One shouldn't need to be a doctor to discuss the healthcare policy, one shouldn't need to be an expert in transports to discuss urban mobility. One should not have to be a technical person to discuss the public policy decisions behind technical standards. Who is creating public policy through standards and on behalf of whom? Your question indeed goes on the right direction.

Anybody can join and participate in many of the standard development bodies, not so true for ITU-T.

You must separate the process of developing technical standards and public policy.

> ""What "lack of interoperability" ?""
> Lack of interoperability may come in many forms, for instance, on the level of standards when they are proprietary and stifle competition, and on the level of content and applications. Try moving your data to a FB competitor. We are walled and our
> data is locked.

Proprietary data structures and other developments are not intended to be public standards, that Facebook does not provide you a facility to move "your" data to some other place is not due to opaque standards or lack of interoperability. When you go to eat at a restaurant you don't ask the chef to cook a meal on the menu using the ingredients of a competing restaurant and most probably she/he will not either accept to use your own ingredients. You are receiving a service "as is" it is your choice to accept or not the terms, but still one more important issue is what these companies do with the vast amount of information they collect from and about you.

> ""From who's agenda are you taking all these statements ?""
> From my head.

You need to give them more research and thought then.

Regards
Jorge