[NCUC-DISCUSS] NCUC involvement ICANN /Internet Governance Initiatives (5): Our Conference in Singapore

Remmy Nweke remmyn at gmail.com
Tue Jan 7 23:53:50 CET 2014

Thanks Bill for this update, very interesting too.
I hope we don't have visa stock this time around.
Rgards

On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 9:09 PM, William Drake <wjdrake at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> To finish off this round of information overload: As I’ve mentioned on the
> list and at Constituency Day, we’ve received budget support to do two
> special events in Singapore just prior to the meeting:  a new NCUC EC
> ‘retreat’ of sorts on Thursday 20 March to discuss working methods, set
> plans, and get people up to speed a bit on ICANN and GNSO; and a policy
> conference on 21 March.  After an extended bit of bugging staff I’ve
> received confirmation that we do have a conference space on the 21st for
> 150 people, so that’s on, and soon we’ll get to work on the organization.
>  I’m hoping we can do this on a fairly open cross-community basis with a
> lot of engagement from other corners of the ICANNsphere; the precise
> modalities are TBD.
>
> The working title of the conference is, "ICANN and Global Internet
> Governance: The Road to Sao Paulo, and Beyond.”  In terms of the
> substantive focus, there could be sessions devoted to the major foci of the
> April meeting in Sao Paulo and related, e.g. topics like a potential
> declaration on global IG principles; options for evolving the distributed
> institutional architecture (consistent with the I* Montevideo Declaration)
> with respect to globalization; and the role (inter)governmental frameworks
> and authority.  We might also want to consider the progress and
> implications of some of the contextual developments, like the 1net
> initiative, the growing need to support and enhance the IGF, etc.  All to
> be worked out.
>
> The points I wanted to flag here to round out the tour of current IG work
> are:
>
> 1.  Anyone who’s planning on coming to the Singapore ICANN meeting is
> encouraged to come a day early for our conference, which should be a
> notable event.
>
> 2.  Anyone who’s interested but unable to come to Singapore, there should
> be proper remote participation, so do save the date.
>
> 3.  Any *written materials* NCUC or its members can generate on these
> issues could be posted to the conference website and perhaps printed for
> distribution to serve as background issue framing/conversation starters.
>  The same materials could also serve as inputs into the Sao Paulo meeting,
> the CCWG, etc.
>
> So lots of options, if we have the bandwidth to take advantage of them.
>
> Best,
>
> Bill

> William J. Drake
> International Fellow & Lecturer
>   University of Zurich, Switzerland
>   ICANN, www.ncuc.org
> william.drake at uzh.ch (direct), wjdrake at gmail.com (lists),
>   www.williamdrake.org

REMMY NWEKE,
Lead Strategist/Group Executive Editor,
DigitalSENSE Africa Media Ltd
(publishers of) DigitalSENSE Business News;
ITREALMS, NaijaAgroNet
(Multiple-award winning medium)
Published by: DigitalSENSE Africa Media Ltd
Block F1, Shop 133 Moyosore Aboderin Plaza
Bolade Junction, Oshodi-Lagos
M: 234-8033592762, 8023122558, 8051000475,
T: @ITRealms <http://www.twitter.com/ITRealms>
[Member, NIRA Executive Board]
Author: A Decade of ICT Reportage in
Nigeria<https://www.facebook.com/adecadeofictreportageinnigeria>
NDS Forum on Internet Governance for Development (IG4D) 2014<
http://www.digitalsenseafrica.com.ng>- June 5
Nigeria IPv6 Roundtable 2014 <http://www.ipv6forumnigeria.ng> - June 6
@Welcome Centre Hotels. Register now. Email: remnekkv at gmail.com
*Confidentiality Notice:* The information in this document and attachments
are confidential and may also be privileged information. It is intended
only for the use of the named recipient. Remmy Nweke does not accept legal
responsibility for the contents of this e-mail. If you are not the intended
recipient, please notify me immediately, then delete this document and do
not disclose the contents of this document to any other person, nor make
any copies. Violators may face court persecution.