[NCUC-DISCUSS] NCUC involvement ICANN /Internet Governance Initiatives (2): The Sao Paulo conference

Carlos A. Afonso ca at cafonso.ca
Tue Jan 7 18:27:24 CET 2014

The BR Meeting will be on 23-24 of April. Please follow:

http://brmeeting.br

--c.a.

On 01/07/2014 03:24 PM, William Drake wrote:
> [...]
>> and for encouraging the participation of the international community.
>>
>> It will be composed of government representatives of 12 countries
>> (precise list still being established by the BR government) plus 12
>> non-govs, and two representatives of UN agencies to be chosen by the
>> UNSG. The 12 non-govs include four of each non-gov stakeholder (civil
>> society, academia/techies, private sector). All of the non-gov, non-UN
>> stakeholders' names will be brought to the LOG by 1Net. So the HLC will
>> be composed of 26 people.
>>
>> The HLMC will have four co-chairs, keeping the multistakeholder balance.
>> One of the co-chairs will be Brazil's Minister of Communications Paulo
>> Bernardo.
>>
>> So civil society needs to indicate to 1Net Steering Committee four
>> high-level reps as soon as possible.
>>
>> 3. Executive Multistakeholder Committee
>>
>> The EMC will be responsible for organizing the event, including the
>> discussion and implementation of the agenda, and the selection of the
>> participants and the various stakeholders' proposals. The crucial part
>> of the preparation process resides here, in close coordination with the
>> Logistics Committee, so people selected for the EMC ought to make
>> themselves readily available for this challenge.
>>
>> The LOG has already selected the eight Brazilian members of the EMC.
>> There will be four co-chairs as well, and names already appointed are
>> Demi Getschko (CEO of NIC.br) and Raúl Echeberría (to be confirmed, CEO
>> of LACNIC). A representative of an international agency will be
>> appointed as well (by the coordinating body of the UN agencies) to
>> participate.
>>
>> Like the HLMC, non-gov, non-UN members of the EMC will be brought to the
>> LOG by 1Net.
>>
>> For the EMC civil society needs to indicate to 1Net Steering Committee
>> two names as soon as possible.
>

> A civil society selection committee has been formed, with reps of the following CS networks (NCUCers in bold): Internet Governance Caucus (?), Diplo Foundation (Virginia Paque), Best Bits (Jeremy Malcolm), the Non Commercial Stakeholder Group (Robin Gross), and the Association for Progressive Communications (Chat Garcia Ramilo), with Ian Peter as a facilitator.  They need to identify civil society nominees for these two important conference committees.  If they cannot identify anyone appropriate from within the ICANN civil society space, they will have to consider only folks from those parts of CS at IG that don’t participate in ICANN.  Exactly how many names are needed is unclear, pending a definitive answer from the LOG about the desired distribution oaf slots per stakeholder group, but it would be ideal if NCUC/NCSG could identify at least two people who are qualified and prepared to take on these important roles.  The Brazilians plan to hold a first meeting in three days, on the 1
 0
th, with remote participation available.  Hopefully CS will have nominated people by then, otherwise another solution will have to be found.  Either way, please consider whether you could be right for one of these positions.