[NCUC-DISCUSS] Interest Group Reboot?

Olivier Kouami olivierkouami at gmail.com
Thu Jan 2 10:51:29 CET 2014

Happy New Year 2014 to all of you on this mailing list, the NCUCers !
I expect it to be a very active year especially for the NCUC.
I'am adding myself to Banjamin to volunteer fo any IG4D interests group.
}
+ at Benjamin

2013/12/31 Benjamin Akinmoyeje <benakin at gmail.com>

> Hello Bill,
> Thank you for the email. It is well appreciated. Wishing you and everyone
> Happy New Year in a few hours.
> I took time to read you mail and I have decided to hashtag some key words
> and phrases
>  #mechanism through which people who share common interests on
>  #substantive policy matters
>  #engage
>  #dialogue and collaboration
>  #movement doesn't wither away
>  # step up
>  #take ownership
>  #keep afloat
>
> So I have processed everything you said and I perceive it is a good idea.
> My next steps will be to get access to the Ning website or links on
> previous efforts to help give a more practical view of the work on ground.
> To also see what has been done, that we help identify the gaps.
>
> The best thing to do is to try and coordinate various efforts and interest
> in the area of IG4D within NCUC, just as you have mentioned.
> I believe with proper mentoring and guidance we can revamp the old flames
> and get notable outputs.
> I am willing to volunteer for IG4D interests group.
>
> Thank you
> Benjamin
>

> On Fri, Dec 27, 2013 at 10:47 AM, William Drake <wjdrake at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Benjamin
>>
>> Glad to hear you are interested in pushing the IG4D agenda.  I spent
>> years doing that in IGF with what locally would count as some success (four
>> years of workshops and agitation yielded a series of main sessions, which
>> started well but became a bit mediocre).  This has proven more difficult in
>> the ICANN context, as was demonstrated in the JAS debate on Applicant
>> Support for new gTLDs from developing countries and underfunded entities.
>>
>> What we need is a mechanism through which people who share common
>> interests on substantive policy matters can engage in dialogue and
>> collaboration.  These could be called Interest Groups, as per our original
>> proposal for an integrated NCSG, or they could be call Teams like the
>> functional/managerial ones we set up next year, or they could be called
>> something else, doesn’t matter.  What does matter is that they have a space
>> and some people willing to serve as coordinators/facilitators to ensure
>> that conversation and movement doesn’t wither away.
>>
>> On our old Ning website we had the ability for members to sign up to
>> self-formed interest groups, and there were like a dozen people who said
>> they wanted to work on IG4D.  There were also  self-formed interest groups
>> on like a dozen other topics, e.g. FoE, IPR, IG, etc.  Alas, most of these
>> drifted without coordination and commitment, and that functionality was not
>> retained when we moved to the new website.
>>
>> It would be very good to revisit the format of interest groups if there
>> are now people willing to steep up and take some ownership so they are kept
> [...]

Olévié (Olivier) A. A. KOUAMI
Membre de ISoc (www.isog.org) & du FOSSFA (www.fossfa.net)
DG Ets GIDA-OKTETS & CEO de INTIC4DEV (http://www.intic4dev.org)
PC Vice Chair for Francophone Africa ICANN-NCSG/NPOC (http://www.npoc.org/)
SG de ESTETIC  (http://www.estetic.tg)
Po Box : 851 - Tél.: (228) 90 98 86 50 / (228) 928 512 41 / (228) 224 999 25
Skype : olevie1 Facebook : @olivier.kouami.3 Twitter : #oleviek Lomé – Togo