[NCUC-DISCUSS] FW: Request for Information on Registration Directory Service User Accreditation (Available Until 10 March 2014)

Edward Morris emorris at milk.toast.net
Thu Feb 13 00:38:52 CET 2014

-----Original Message-----
From: Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu>
How can there be a request for information for a controversial directory
service that HAS NOT BEEN CREATED YET and an accreditation policy that HAS
NOT BEEN AUTHORIZED YET by the GNSO?
Is the “expert working group” on a slippery slope toward creating de
facto policy and then present the GNSO with a fait accompli?

It sadly appears so. In an ICANN of strategy panels, expert working groups
and the highest of high level panels  the bottom up component of our
multi-stakeholder model appears to be lost. In TM50 we discovered that when
policy made under GNSO auspices conflicts with the desires of connected and
monied interests the later interests prevail and settled policy decisions
are ignored, indeed reversed,  by staff and Board. In our SG DIDP we learned
that staff and Board do not feel compelled to divulge the processes by which
decisions are made nor the rationales for their decisions. Now we have an
RFI, though couched in qualified terms, which anyone interested in
submitting a RFP related to the  future directory may be well advised to
participate in. Do we really believe ICANN would ask for input through a RFI
resembling an RFP if the way forward on directory services has not largely
been pre-determined? Of course not.

A reminder: the EWG is, as described in the RFI, is a top down committee
"formed by ICANN's CEO, Fadi Chehade, at the request of ICANN's Board, to
help resolve the nearly decade-long deadlock within the ICANN community on
how to replace the current WHOIS system." It increasingly appears that  "to
help" really means "to decide" or "to impose a decision upon". Then again,
that appears to be the modus operandi of the new regime on many issues (see
above).

Or perhaps that's just the cynic in me writing. Maybe I'll wake up tomorrow
and read how Mr. Chehade stopped off in Compton or South Central Los Angeles
on his way to work to speak with and learn about the needs, hopes and
desires of  low income internet users. A good balance to the time he
recently spent in his cherished Davos. I anxiously await the formation of
the Low Level Panel on Global Internet Cooperation and Governance, scheduled
to meet with Mr. Chehade at a community centre in Dili. I'm sure after his
meeting with the "high level" leaders at the Annenberg Estate, Mr. Chehsde
would relish the opportunity to meet with common folk in the least wired
country on earth to understand their thoughts, perspectives and challenges.
I'm sure my dear friend Paulo Anuno would be willing to help with the
logistics. As the Eurythmics once sang "sweet dreams are made of this."

Unfortunately the theme track to this narrative appears to be more one
written by Arrowsmith: "Dream On." Be it the procedural and substantive
direction indicated by the RFI, the staff override of GNSO policy on TM50 or
the lack of transparency in so many matters,  the direction of ICANN under
Mr. Chehade and his Board is clearly towards a more staff oriented,  top
down, opaque institution. This isn't the type of organisation I'm
comfortable supporting; Indeed I'm finding it increasingly difficult to
sense a major practical difference between this sort of multi-stakeholderism
and the ugly spectre of multilateralism. A modified version of Orwell's
Animal House seems a bit apropos to the current situation: All stakeholders
are equal, but some stakeholders are more equal than others, and besides the
staff and CEO reserve the right do what they want anyway regardless of any
stakeholder.

Hope there are some people here far more intelligent than I with thoughts
and plans that would allow us to reverse these trends - if it isn't already
too late. Smiling and applauding when Mr. Chehade mentions the word
"multi-stakeholder" doesn't cut it when his operational administration
frequently forgets the companion term "bottom up."