[NCUC-DISCUSS] ELECTION RESULTS

David Cake dave at difference.com.au
Tue Dec 16 13:13:08 CET 2014

There are other online voting systems. I've found OPAVote to be generally excellent (perhaps at least partially due to my Australian preference for a system that supports ranked voting).

David

On 16 Dec 2014, at 3:44 pm, William Drake <wjdrake at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Thanks Dan.  It’s ICANN’s software and one imagines it’s not the first time this has happened with the various elections they administer, but I can pass along the suggestions.
>
> Bill
>
>> On Dec 16, 2014, at 2:00 AM, Dan Krimm <dan at musicunbound.com> wrote:
>>
>> Given that the intent is for members to vote for one candidate in each
>> region, it seems that the voting technology ought to constrain that
>> action?
>>
>> In HTML, one would use radio buttons rather than check-boxes, for example.
>>
>> For the future, could the voting system be updated to do this?  If not (or
>> in cases using email), instructions should be clear what will happen if
>> multiple votes are cast: the ballot for that region will not be counted.
>>
>> In this case as you note it made no difference, but in the future it could
>> and then we would have a dispute to resolve.
>>
>> Seems to me we ought to try to preempt such a problem if we can.
>>
>> Dan
>>
>> PS: Congratulations to all the candidates, especially the winners.  As
>> usual we had an excellent line-up, ensuring an excellent outcome no matter
>> what.
>>

>> On Mon, December 15, 2014 4:08 am, William Drake wrote:
>>> Hello
>>>
>>> I have just received the results of the election for the 2015 NCUC Exec.
>>> Committee, which are as follows:
>>>
>>> Chair
>>> 1:190 votes   []  William Drake
>>> 2: 31 votes    []  Abstain
>>>
>>> Executive Committee – Europe
>>> 3:189 votes   [] Stefania Milan
>>> 4: 26 votes    [] Abstain
>>>
>>> Executive Committee – Africa
>>> 5:107 votes   [] Grace Githaiga
>>> 6: 41 votes    [] Hago Dafalla
>>> 7: 32 votes    [] Lorin Ekpe
>>> 8: 39 votes    [] Abstain
>>>
>>> Executive Committee – Asia and the Pacific
>>> 9: 34 votes    [] Imran Ahmed Shah
>>> 10: 82 votes   [] Peter Green (aka Zuan Zhang, å¼  钻)
>>> 11: 75 votes   [] Walid Al-Saqaf
>>> 12: 34 votes   [] Abstain
>>>
>>> Executive Committee – North America
>>> 13:180 votes   [] Roy Balleste
>>> 14: 38 votes    [] Abstain
>>>
>>> Executive Committee – Latin America
>>> 15:179 votes   [] João Carlos R. Caribé
>>> 16: 37 votes    [] Abstain
>>>
>>> There was a problem with the Africa vote, because some ballots were
>>> incorrectly filled in, in that people voted for more than one person. Each
>>> of these ballots have the weight of one, so if one were to subtract them
>>> from the score, the corrected count would be:
>>>
>>> 5:107 votes   [] Grace Githaiga =101 (-6)
>>> 6: 41 votes    [] Hago Dafalla =37 (-4)