[NCUC-DISCUSS] NCUC External Appointments for 2015

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Thu Dec 18 12:25:43 CET 2014

Hello

The new Executive Committee will meet in Washington DC on 12 January prior to the Noncontracted Parties House meeting.  There we will need to approve a number of appointments of 2015 NCUC reps to external bodies.  These include:

2 NCUC Reps. to the NCSG Executive Committee
https://community.icann.org/display/gnsononcomstake/Committees-2015 <https://community.icann.org/display/gnsononcomstake/Committees-2015>
http://gnso.icann.org/en/about/stakeholders-constituencies/ncsg <http://gnso.icann.org/en/about/stakeholders-constituencies/ncsg>
http://mailman.ipjustice.org/pipermail/ec-ncsg/ <http://mailman.ipjustice.org/pipermail/ec-ncsg/>

The EC does admin type stuff, particularly handling new member applications.  Robin Gross and Milton Mueller are presently our two reps.   If they wish to continue for another year there’s no prohibition on them doing so, and they have the knowledge and experience these particular slots require. That said, other members are also invited to throw their hats in the ring as well.  If anyone is potentially interested, please have a look at the above URLs, give it some thought, and if you wish to proceed send me an application no later than 5 January outlining why you think you would the right fit for one of these positions.

1 NCUC Rep. to the Public Interest Registry
 http://pir.org/about-us/get-to-know-us/advisory-council/ <http://pir.org/about-us/get-to-know-us/advisory-council/>

PIR manages .org etc. and is a long time financial and political supporter of NCUC.  Carlos Affonso is currently in this position but has left the EC and has not indicated a desire to continue.  In principle one would argue this position should be held by an EC member to ensure effective coordination etc, but in practice there’s no reason a dedicated regular member could not perform the task as well.   I understand this has not involved a lot of work of late.  If anyone is potentially interested, please have a look around the PIR site, give it some thought, and if you wish to proceed send me an application no later than 5 January outlining why you think you would the right fit for the position.

2 NCUC Reps. to the GNSO’s Standing Committee on Improvements
https://community.icann.org/display/gnsosci/Home <https://community.icann.org/display/gnsosci/Home>
https://community.icann.org/display/gnsosci/3.+Members <https://community.icann.org/display/gnsosci/3.+Members>

The SCI is a fairly unique committee in that it is 1) a standing committee, 2) run on a full consensus model and 3) deals with procedural and structural, rather than substantive, issues. The NCUC has two representative positions, both a primary and an alternate slot.  NCUC appointees would be expected to attend SCI calls (usually monthly) and participate in mailing list deliberations. Only one appointee, primary or alternate, may take part in each consensus call. Coordination between both appointees, and with the other noncommercial representatives, is an essential component of the positions. In 2014 we had Amr and David as an alternate, both Councilors. Again, if they wish to stay fine, but we should make this available to others as well, bearing in mind that the person should be steeped in the GNSO milieu, so a Councilor or former Councilor normally would be optimal.  If anyone is potentially interested, please have a look around the SOC site, give it some thought, and if you wish to proceed send me an application no later than 5 January outlining why you think you would the right fit for the position.

So those are the near-term external appointments.  And FYI:

In the autumn, we will have to fill another slot:

1 NCUC Rep. to the ICANN Nominating Committee
http://www.icann.org/en/groups/nomcom <http://www.icann.org/en/groups/nomcom>
The NomCom appoints people to positions in the ICANN board, the GNSO Council, and other parts of the org.  Brenden Keurbis was reappointed to a second term a few months ago as the NomCom work cycle begins with the annual autumn meeting.

And as of the next election cycle there will be additional openings for 2016:

2 NCUC Reps. to the NCSG Policy Committee
https://community.icann.org/display/gnsononcomstake/Committees-2013 <https://community.icann.org/display/gnsononcomstake/Committees-2013>
The PC is the vehicle for our policy engagement in the GNSO Council, alongside NPOC in NCSG.  In 2014 our reps were Marilia and Stephanie, both of whom recently were elected to the GNSO Council.  They were replaced with Matt Shears of CDT and Joy Liddicoat, formerly of APC.  As they’ve only been on the job a month or so we will consider their posts to extend through 2015 to after the next cycle.

Thanks,

Bill

William J. Drake
International Fellow & Lecturer