[NCUC-DISCUSS] NCUC Delegate to the 2015 NomCom

Carlos A. Afonso ca at cafonso.ca
Tue Aug 26 14:06:29 CEST 2014

Yes, we "old-timers" recall the "big bang" of this -- the attempt to
elect board members through a planetary electoral process of the
Internet users in general, the so-called "netizens", a disaster which
ended up giving birth to this thing called ALAC.

Some people might think that the RIRs/NRO's method of electing board
members gives control to holders of number resources and not "to the
people". But does a NomCom provide any better solution to this
representation issue? BTW, I have never heard of this being a
significant problem in our NCUC dialogues, as we are historically mostly
concentrated on gTLD issues and processes -- not even with the current
IPv6 transition "crisis".

If ICANN ends up taking care of gTLDs only (and I agree we have to think
about how to separate policy from operation), and the board is elected
only by direct votes of domain name holders (registrants), there are
mechanisms to make sure there is equanimous representation irrespective
of the numbers of each domain etc.

[] fraterno

--c.a.