[NCUC-DISCUSS] Increasing GAC influence?

Tamir Israel tisrael at cippic.ca
Tue Aug 19 20:40:48 CEST 2014

I get that this may not change anything in terms of actual outcomes on
specific decisions (or, at best, it places GAC opinions on more equal
footing w/corporate stakeholders which have a 3:1 advantage currently,
in those instances when they can coordinate). Also get that if corporate
groups already have a de facto majority, fighting against something like
this helps them more than it helps civil society.

Still, it does seem problematic on principle to give GAC a super
majority. It could also have practical impact. For example, if, say, one
of the stakeholders is in favour or is fragmented on a particular issue,
they can default: vote against it knowing it'll go through anyways.

Best,
Tamir