[NCUC-DISCUSS] IGF Main Session on IANA and ICANN Accountability

William Drake wjdrake at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 09:18:35 CEST 2014

Hello

One of my little projects as a member of the IGF MAG has been to try to get the planning of a few key main sessions to be opened up to more diverse viewpoints and to include civil society speakers.  But sometimes it is hard when dealing with particularly dedicated first movers who take over the planning of a session and have a different vision.  So, for ex, the session on IANA and ICANN Accountability http://sched.co/1qe8LSK has two panels that are packed to the gills with technical community people and only one civil society person, Avri, on accountability.  I did manage to get developing country govt people onto both and Matt as moderator for one, but still there’s no CS on the IANA panel; I suggested Milton but no uptake.  Hence the line-up at present is

Chair [TBD by Host Country]

Moderators
For Panel No 1 on IANA stewardship: TBC
For Panel No 2 on ICANN accountability: Matthew Shears (Center for Democracy and Technology).

Panelists

Panelists for the NTIA transition:
	• Byron Holland, President and CEO, Canadian Internet Registration Authority, Chair, ccNSO. Confirmed
	• Nii Quaynor, University of Cape-Coast, Ghana.  Confirmed
	• Narelle Clark, ISOC. Confirmed
	• Joseph Alhadeff, Chair of the ICC Commission on the Digital Economy. Waiting for confirmation
	• Manal Ismail, National Telecommunications Regulatory Agency of Egypt.  Confirmed

Panelists for ICANN’s accountability process:
	• Avri Doria, Consultant and researcher. Confirmed
	• Benedicto Fonseca, Itamaraty, Brazil. Confirmed
	• Paul Wilson, APNIC. Confirmed
	• Theresa Swinehart, ICANN. Confirmed
	• Towela Nyirenda-Jere. NEPAD. Confirmed

Remote  moderator:
Susan Chalmers, Consultant.

Also, one of the (CS friendly) lead organizers has just suggested an open call for discussion questions, see below.  Anyone care to provide some input?

Best

Bill

Begin forwarded message: