[NCUC-DISCUSS] Hot topic session in BA

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Thu Oct 31 12:27:00 CET 2013

On Oct 31, 2013, at 5:18 PM, William Drake wrote:

> On Oct 31, 2013, at 8:56 AM, "Kleinwächter, Wolfgang" <wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de> wrote:
>
>> we have to discuss what our input could be into the substance which will include probably three issues i. principles, ii. institutional frameworks and iii. decision making procedures.
>
> To decode for people not in the Bali "coalition" pow wow on Sunday, these are the 'deliverables' Fadi says Pres. Rousseff would like something on in Brazil, and they seem to mean a) an agreement at the level of guiding principles, sort of ye ole framework convention concept; b) institutional frameworks for CIR and globalization of the USG functions; and c) potentially some sort of new decision making mechanism for 'orphaned' IG issues that lack proper institutional homes.  Which, of course, could have been said more directly rather than having generic terms stand in for specific initiatives, but perhaps that'd have been too concrete and 'sensitive' at this stage.

this is the clearest summary I've seen. Great.

Sorry to go on about this, but can others who were in those Bali meetings add to this understanding.  What is the  "coalition" ?  Who, what, how? etc.

We're looking at a very rapid process here, 6 months from zero to a high level summit is no time at all. We'd better have the same understanding of what we're doing or things will likely go badly wrong.

Adam