[NCUC-DISCUSS] Scope creep and renegade was Re: NCUC Statement on PRISM?

David Cake dave at difference.com.au
Wed Oct 30 11:24:49 CET 2013

On 29 Oct 2013, at 6:02 am, Jorge Amodio <jmamodio at GMAIL.COM> wrote:

> OK I'm back in the office, and seating.
>
> Let me a story that you can research by yourself. During the Echelon days, do you know how many lines of code the NSA had to compromise to gain access to long distance microwave links in Brazil ? ... Zero ... it only took a corrupt enough government official and old hard cash ... so your "Code is Law" is not good when "Cash is King" ...
>
> Are there still corrupt government officials in Brazil (and everywhere else) you bet !! Do some research about all the corruption going on with the 2014 World Cup ... I'll give you a link for starters http://www.theguardian.com/world/2012/may/15/brazil-bribery-scandal-politicians

	Of course. But of course there are venal and self-interested individuals within MSism as well. No system survives long term if it relies on the honesty and altruism of its particiants. We need openness and transparency in whatever processes we use.
	Personally, I am of the opinion (as I said in my last message), that even honest well intentioned public servants can end up serving the wrong interests if the process is not open and transparent (such as the TPPA). But where there isn't openness and transparency, the corrupt thrive.
	Cheers
		David