[NCUC-DISCUSS] Scope creep and renegade was Re: NCUC Statement on PRISM?

avri doria avri at ella.com
Mon Oct 28 05:59:47 CET 2013

Hi,

In terms of legitimacy, isn't one of the topics that needs to be explored internationalisation of ICANN, and IANA? Isn't that a topic at the top of the list? That seems to be in scope.

And the ICANN Board seems to be on-board as Fadi was meeting with a subset of them (including the Chair) and AC/SO leadership every morning. I wasn't in the meetings, and don't know who the rep from gnso was since Jonathan wasn't there, so don't know what the level of buy in was, but I heard no complaints on the ground.

So whatever we might say about scope creep Fadi is not being renegade.

As for scope creep Fadi and the leaders of the other I* seem to be acting in coordinated faction, so it is within their scope, and would seem to be in scope for any one of them to act on I*'s behalf in organizational  talks with governments on a meeting planning.

So, in this case at least, I see no fundamental problem of overreach by Fadi.  And, whether he fully understand what it means, he seems to be carrying the banner of multistakeholderism into these discussions.

So, at least this once, I am not ready to join in Fadi-attack.

avri

Sent from a T-Mobile 4G LTE Device