[NCUC-DISCUSS] IG Conference/book

William Drake wjdrake at gmail.com
Tue Oct 15 12:20:26 CEST 2013

Hello

Mira Burri of the World Trade Institute and I are organizing the Biannual Conference of the Swiss Network of International Studies at the WTI, University of Bern on 6 – 7 December.  Event title is The Institutionalization of Global Internet Governance: Multistakeholderism, Multilateralism and Beyond, and will feature a motley crew of IG regulars presenting draft memos that will later morph into chapters for an edited book we'll publish late next year.  The program outline is below.

The room we'll be doing this in holds @ 50 people and we are still in the process of devising the list of invitations, which we hope to send out within a week of returning from Bali.  We are guessing that in addition to our targeted invitees there may be up to ten open slots, hence I'm writing to see if there's anyone here who might be interested and have the means to be in Bern (no travel support available, sorry).  We can't guarantee anything until the list is finalized, but it'd be nice to have some civil society folks from NCUC if possible.  If anyone may be interested in this, please be in touch with me offline.

Thanks,

Bill

———————

Conference Programme

DAY ONE, 6 DECEMBER 2013

15:00-15:15 Welcome and Introduction

Thomas Cottier (University of Bern) and a few words from the organizers

15:15-16:45 Panel 1: Mapping the Terrain

Conceptualizing Global Internet Governance

William J. Drake (University of Zurich)

Historical Evolution of Global Internet Governance

Wolfgang Kleinwächter (University of Aarhus)

Overview of the Issues and Actors

Jovan Kurbarlija (Diplo Foundation, Geneva)

Moderator/Discussant:

Markus Kummer (Vice President, The Internet Society)

17:00-18:00 Keynote: Frédéric Riehl, Director ‘International Affairs’ and Vice- director Swiss Federal Office of Communications

Moderators: William Drake and Benedikt Wechsler (Swiss Federal Office of Foreign Affairs)

Drinks for everyone
Visit of the Swiss Parliament and/or city walk Dinner for speakers and invited guests

DAY TWO, 7 DECEMBER 2013

9:00-10:30 Panel 2: Multistakeholder Models

ICANN and the RIRs

Brenden Kuerbis (Syracuse University)

The IETF and other Standards Bodies

Avri Doria (Consultant, USA)

The IGF

Jeanette Hofmann (Social Science Research Centre and Alexander von Humboldt Institute for Internet and Society, Berlin)

Moderator / Discussant:

Thomas Schneider (Swiss Federal Office of Communications)

10:30-10:45 Coffee and tea

10:45-12:15 Panel 3: Multilateral Models

The ITU

Donald J. MacLean (Consultant, Ottawa)

The WTO

Mira Burri (University of Bern)

The WIPO

Konstantinos Komaitis (The Internet Society)

Moderator / Discussant:

Tarek Kamel (Senior Advisor to President for Governmental Engagement, ICANN)

12:15-13:30 Lunch

13:30-15:00 Panel 4: Alternative Forms of Global Governance

Corporate Decisions and Social Ordering

Bertrand de la Chapelle (International Diplomatic Academy, Paris)

Minilateralism

Ian Brown (Oxford Internet Institute) and Christopher T. Marsden (University of Sussex)

Algorythms and Architectures

Michael Latzer (University of Zurich)

Moderator/Discussant:

Lee Bygrave (University of Oslo)

15:00-15:15 Coffee and tea

15:15-16:45 Panel 5: The Emerging Geopolitical Landscape

“Enhanced Cooperation” and “Oversight”

Milton L. Mueller (Syracuse University)

Toward Cyber-neomedievalism: Lessons from the World Conference on International Telecommunications

William J. Drake (University of Zurich)

Demands for Transparency, Accountability, and Participation

Rolf H. Weber (University of Zurich)

Moderator / Discussant:

Ayesha Hassan (International Chamber of Commerce)

16:45-17:00 Closing

Mira Burri and Thomas Cottier (University of Bern)

William J. Drake
International Fellow & Lecturer
  University of Zurich, Switzerland
  ICANN, www.ncuc.org