[NCUC-DISCUSS] NCUC Election 2013

Tapani Tarvainen tapani.tarvainen at effi.org
Tue Nov 19 09:28:55 CET 2013

Dear fellow NCUC members,

After some heavy soul-searching and reflection upon the past
year, I must, with no small amount of regret and sadness,
decline my nomination as a candidate for European representative
to the Executive Committee of the Non-Commercial Users' Constituency.

I would like to sincerely thank Kate Smith-Lawrence for nominating me
and the amazingly numerous people who've supported me. I must also
apologize for this very late announcement, but the decision was not
easy.

In the end, however, it has become clear that I cannot continue.

My reasons have little to do with NCUC EC as such. Admittedly I have
been frustrated by my inability to work there as efficiently as I
would've liked, but the main reason for that as well as for my
decision to drop out is that certain events of my life outside ICANN
(yes, I do have life outside ICANN) have taken a much heavier toll on
me than I have realized, and I have overloaded myself with more work
than I can handle.

Faced with the need to unload something to keep myself from burning
out, the first to suffer will, inevitably, be volunteer work, and
I would not want to be in the EC knowing I would not be able to
give it enough time and attention.

Fortunately, however, we have a good slate of candidates and
I have no doubt we'll have a great Executive Committee next
year, whoever gets elected.

Finally, I'd like to thank my fellow EC members, Bill, Ed, Wilson,
Carlos, Norbert, Peter, Milton and Rafik: it's been a privilege to
work with you, as well as with the entire NCUC community.

Sincerely,

--
Tapani Tarvainen