[NCUC-DISCUSS] NCUC Election 2013

Brenden Kuerbis bkuerbis at internetgovernance.org
Wed Nov 13 16:50:16 CET 2013

I would like to nominate Roy Balleste for Executive Committee, North
American region.

For those who don't know Roy well, he has an interesting background and I
think would be a valuable addition to NCUC leadership.

As far as I know, Roy is the only law librarian in the NCUC. As Law Library
Director and Professor of Law at St. Thomas University (Miami, FL, USA), he
has deep concern with access to information and freedom of expression.  He
completed a doctorate degree (J.S.D.) in Intercultural Human Rights,
analyzing internet governance, including its history, actors, institutions
and human rights considerations.

But beyond academia, Roy continues to make contributions to the NCUC and
our work at ICANN. He has helped grow the Constituency, translating our
brochure to Spanish, as well as cultivating his ties with the International
Federation of Library Associations and Institutions (IFLA) on behalf of the
NCUC (and NCSG) seeking broader and worldwide participation of librarians
in the ICANN process. Roy also participated in the 'thick' WHOIS PDP WG, as
a member of the data protection and privacy sub-team, and co-drafted two
NCUC Policy Documents submitted to WG.

Personally, I've know Roy for several years and have done various project
and committee work with him. I think he brings a level of professionalism,
initiative, and follow-through that we will benefit from. AFAIK, Roy will
be in Buenos Aires, so I encourage you to get to know him better there. You
can also read more about Roy here:
http://www.stu.edu/BallesteRoy/tabid/2383/Default.aspx

Thanks!

-- Brenden