[NCUC-DISCUSS] GNSO Projects Background Briefings

William Drake wjdrake at gmail.com
Mon Nov 11 12:03:07 CET 2013

Hi Amr

Yes, and there’s also a useful webinar before each meeting.  I sent the list the announcement of the 7 Nov. Pre-Buenos Aires ICANN Policy Update Webinar on 27 October; the slides, recording and transcript of the presentation are at: http://www.icann.org/en/resources/policy/presentations   and on the GNSO website: http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/#nov (previous pre-meeting webinar presentations also available). I also sent out the call for comments on the strategic plan on 30 October.  And BTW, there are a bunch of new gTLD webinars & transcripts, including on rights protection issues, at http://newgtlds.icann.org/en/announcements-and-media/webinars.

Hopefully we will over the next year be able to turn more attention from getting our house in order to visibly engaging in ICANN policy discussions via public comment periods, policy statements, and the like.  We’ve been allocated funding to produce print materials, which would allow us to make such interventions more visible.  But to do all this we need to decide on rebooting the Policy Committee or having some other mechanism, similar to what NCUC used to do in years past when statements were much more frequent.

In the near term, a policy piece I hope people will make time for is the ATRT II report (sent 31 October and included also on the Constituency Day agenda sent 7 November.  https://community.icann.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=40176025

The ATRT Team will be coming for 45 minutes to ask for NCUC’s views on ICANN’s accountability and transparency.  Hopefully CD participants can read the team’s draft report and come ready to engage.

Best,

Bill