[NCUC-DISCUSS] NCUC Election 2013

Tapani Tarvainen tapani.tarvainen at effi.org
Sun Nov 10 16:24:27 CET 2013

On Sat, Nov 09, 2013 at 02:41:01PM +0000, Edward Morris (egmorris100 at gmail.com) wrote:

> Good morning / afternoon / evening everybody,

Likewise.

> 1. I'm  very sad to learn that Carlos has decided not to run for
> re-election as the E.C. member from Latin America.

Yes. Carlos is indeed an exceptionally level-headed man and
has an exceptional skill to cut straight to the core of issues,
without wasting too many words. I too regret to see him go.

> 2.  I am very happy to second the nomination of Tapani Tarvainen as
> the NCUCExecutive Committee member from Europe. Boy, am I.
[...]

You make me seriously embarrassed. (I trust you all realize
I'm not the kind of superman Ed makes me out to be.)

I do not have enough of a poet in me to do you justice, so I'll just
say that Ed has been incredibly hard-working and efficient in may
things related to the core substance of NCUC's work, often working
behind the scenes without clamoring for personal recognition, as well
as bringing in new members and keeping in touch with an enormous
number of people (indeed incredibly so for an introverted geek like me).

> I did not intend to run for re-election. This position should be a
> positive, life affirming volunteer slot. There is so much we can do working
> together but for a number of reasons it has not been. I think that's true
> for others on the E.C. as well.

Yes.

> I agreed to be nominated with the provision that I would only accept
> the nomination if I thought we could really make the changes
> necessary to function better as a group. That's where I'm at today.

That is my position as well. I have not adapted to the current EC as
well as might have and may have inadvertently hurt some feelings
(you may have noticed that even Ed didn't claim me to be particularly
diplomatic). So, I'm also trying to weigh the situation, whether
I'd be more useful outside the EC, as well as various personal
and other non-NCUC-related issues.

In any event, I'm grateful and humbled by the amount of support I've
received.

--
Tapani Tarvainen